How to Install a Window in my Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SophieLain127, May 11, 2009.

1. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I've got the window and I've got the wood but where do I go from there? I've got the interior walls of the back and other side partially done and now I'm just waiting on the front and the side with the window.

Please help me install my window.

2. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Is it a replacement or new construction window?

Replacement:

[​IMG]

New construction:

[​IMG]

New construction has the nailing tabs on the outer edge.

jeremy

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  3. SophieLain127

Apr 7, 2009
    The window is just an old wood frame window. The coop in new construction. I'm not sure what I'm doing I've watched videos and read books but I'm just lost on the subject....lol.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Your window has the frame within which it moves, yes? In that case you need to frame out a space ever so slightly larger than the outer dimensions of the window frame, with the horizontal members of that opening supported under their ends by extra 2x4s that are doubled against the existing studs.

Once the opening is framed out on the stud wall, you put the window in, shim it in place (you can buy shims, but if you've had lumber delivered the thin stickers they use to separate pieces work just fine IME), check that the window operates freely (if not, it is probably out of square, adjust your shims) then screw through the windowframe and shims into the studs to secure the whole thing firmly in place. Caulk (or whatever) the parts of the gap not filled by shims, and there ya go.

I am sure this is not exactly as per official contractor practice, but it will be plenty fine for a coop [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I would go with Pats direction, I was gonna say get a sawzall, cut a hole put in the window. I forgot about the frameing and caulking and squareing, take pictures so we can critique your techniques, and figure out all I did wrong. Well I gotta go find some bigger screws, my window keeps falling out. [​IMG]

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well hey, Dennis, I just figured that if someone asks how to do it, they a) want instructions beyond 'just do it' and b) might want to do it in a way *sure* to work as opposed to 'might be more or less ok in particular situations'.

BTW Sophie it occurs to me I've described it for larger size buildings and windows -- if these are very small windows and/or a very small coop, you may not need to do a lot in the way of headers or extra vertical supports, and *might* be able to get away without anything underneath the window.

Still have to screw thru something, either a flange or the frame, to hold the window in place, though; and still likely to need shims and caulk.

<shrug>,

Pat

7. jubylives

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Quote:I'd agree there is probably no need for upper or lower sill plates. Although they may help in apply the outer skin whatever it ends up being. Just space your studs that will house the window the width of the window and nail in place. Remember it's a chicken coop. Not a house. Heck if you knew the fudging that goes on in the building of a house nowadays it might make you kring.

jeremy

8. jubylives

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Here's an example. There's no need to go heavy duty like this but you can use this for a visual idea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jeremy

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:[​IMG] , clear and concise. Thank you from me, too!

10. SophieLain127

Apr 7, 2009
    It is a small coop 4x6 feet and it is a single payne window with a wood frame. No moving parts or anything. It came out of a house from the late 1800's.

So do I just build a frame and put it in? What secures it? it Can I put a little "frame" on the inside and out in order to ensure it doesn't move?

Then I just caulk it and I'm done?

Sounds easy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by