How to install French door on 5Wx8Lx7H wood shipping crate?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Moogie, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Moogie

Moogie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    DFW, Texas
    I purchased this great shipping crate - 5Wx8Lx7H - and wanted to convert it to a coop. I've already installed 2 windows and have a french door (craigslist) that I'd like to install on one end - opening outward. Fortunately, the hinges are set up for this. The door is as tall as the coop - if it hangs over a little at the bottom, that's fine, since the crate's on skids.

Does anyone have any suggestions or links to give me an idea of how to do this? I'd thought of laying the door on the ground, framing around it and installing the hinges (already attached to the door) onto the frame. Cut out the opening in the plywood to fit and install, attaching it to the top and bottom 2x4s - maybe installing some small (1"x4") triangular bracing in the corners at the top which would also act as a stop - and add trim around the door to finish.

The door is heavy - but my daughter is helping me - I think we could handle this, but I want to be sure the door is secure, once installed.

If anyone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it!

Kathi

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. N. Virginia

N. Virginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Can't offer you any construction suggestions...no clue...but admire your beautiful crate. Would get galvanized hardware for hinges.

Where did you get the crate? I could use one for the dogs as an outdoor shed.
    Tx much,
    N. VA

3. Moogie

Jun 12, 2011
    DFW, Texas
    A guy (south of Denton) was selling them on Craigslist for $100 - he sells them all the time. I would have paid much more than that just for the lumber/plywood. I found the windows in the attic of our carport (previous owner).

One end opens completely (on piano hinges) - but I wanted to put in a smaller door to get in and out easily. Also need to add the pop door next to it. Also plan to add a domed, corrugated plastic roof - but need to put the door in first.

[​IMG]

Most of the posts I've found on shipping crate coops are for smaller ones - not the walk-in size -- so I hope someone is able to help me out.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  4. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Hi!! I also have a coop made out of the SAME type of shipping crate! Check out my BYC page. Make sure to look at the whole page! I don't feel like the only one anymore! lol

5. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    By the way....[​IMG]

6. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    So, I was looking at your shipping crate and thinking about the door you want to put in and how we put ours in and I was thinking that the easiest solution would be to just nail the end of the crate shut (leaving or removing the hinges) and then plan to cut the door hole in and build a framing on the inside for it. When we put our door in, we had to cut the door down some. Our door was a solid wood door so that helped, not sure if you have that option with your door. It was quite a project trying to hold the door up in it's place, trace it and then cut it. If you like, tomorrow I could take some photos of the inside framing of our door. Even though ours is installed in a different location from yours, I think it is still the same design behind it. Let me know, I would be happy to help! [​IMG]

7. Moogie

Jun 12, 2011
    DFW, Texas
    Thank you so much!! I love your page and all the photos were SO helpful! (and your girls are beautiful!)

When you have time, I would love to see pics of the inside of your door - how you framed it in, because it just looks Great! The French door I have is also solid wood and very heavy - and I'll have to cut it down some, too, to make it fit. Probably 4"-6".

I haven't cut the crate yet - because I was just so unsure how to do it, but your photo makes perfect sense.

Also - the pics of the inside look really neat - how you divided it, and how you set up your roosts - so I would really appreciate any pics of how you set it up.

I have 13 chickens (2BCM, 4EE, 7BR). We started off with 10, then one of the BR wandered off - so I immediately went back to the seller and bought 3 more (how could I introduce 1 lonely chicken??). And of course, the wanderer showed up that night. [​IMG]

So, it might be a bit crowded. But, I'm connecting it to their 12x15' hoop coop and Texas winters are really mild with only a few freezing days.

I've done searches but it's really hard to find postings on this size crate - much less any pictures - so thank you again for posting! [​IMG]

8. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Thank you so much for the nice complements! We have been working on our coop for months! We are getting close though. [​IMG]

The inside of our coop has been changed already! lol We wanted to make more room for our girls so we gave up our "human side" of the coop. We wanted our girls to be happy! I will take pics tomorrow for you!

I had to laugh how you added chickens! We did the same sort of thing! (You may have read about it on my BYC page.) I am already plotting to make another, smaller coop! [​IMG] Chickens can be addicting. lol

Can't wait to see update of your coop as you work on it! Picture of your chicken too please!! [​IMG]

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:hmmcc123
    Nice job on finishing the crate!! [​IMG]

10. Moogie

Jun 12, 2011
    DFW, Texas
    I loved your page and your story about getting your chickens. Funny how they seem to multiply! In less than a month I went from 1 to 13! And now I'm trying to figure out how to add another section of cattle panel onto my hoop coop (shhhhh!) [​IMG]

It was really interesting how you cut the opening in your ceiling because I also want to cut a large opening in the ceiling and then add a barrel roof of clear corrugated panels - like a big sky light. (the crate sits under an old tin-roofed pavilion so it's always in the shade - really important in our heat) How large did you make your opening and do you have any problems with bees or wasps nesting up there? I wonder if using window screening instead of hardware cloth up there would keep them out?

Once you rearranged the inside, where do you store all your "stuff" that you had inside? I was thinking of getting one of those big rubbermaid bins (like the ones used to store swimming pool equipment) to store all the stuff (see 3rd pic below) that I now have inside the crate/coop.

Thanks so much for answering all my questions and for all your help. Without this forum, I would have never have attempted to raise chickens! I just had no idea it would be so much fun![​IMG]

Here's the hoop coop and crate (under the pavilion):
    [​IMG]

Here's the french door:
    [​IMG]

And here are a few of my chicks:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by