How to insulate a small coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Oct 30, 2011.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    We have 2 hens and a small coop that can hold 4 - 6 birds. We got it free from a friend who had rabbits in it and we got it last winter.
    ANYWAYS.... where the roof meets the walls, there's a 3 inch gap that was put in there for ventilation in the summer. Last winter we stuffed the gap with bubble wrap and towels. It was temporary and it lasted us the winter. Now, another winter is upon us. How would I insulate this coop?
    I might be able to post pics tomorrow.

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    You should make sure snow stays out and let the vents stay open, ventilation is the key to a healthy flock

3. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    You don't think they'll be too cold? Its basically a open window.

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i also have two chickens my coops 4x6 and i have the same gap in the front and back (covered in wire mesh) and 2 floor registers i got on sale on the sides and the've been fine so far. The ventilation is good as long as their roost isn't the same level as the vent. I'm sure u'll get plenty other answers but i'm new and its working so far. [​IMG]

5. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:Ok, thanks!

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I answered this in another post of yours. Screened windows can be covered with plexiglass screwed into place. This is nice because it allows sunlight in to help warm the coop during the day. As someone else mentioned though, you still want some ventilation for winter time. With only two birds, you can get by with less, but you still want at least a little bit of airflow/exchange. It's best if it's up high and located where it won't allow icy winds to touch the roosting birds at night.

7. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Quote:Look at the front of my coop, THAT's an open window. Leave the vent open, they'll be OK.
    Jack

8. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Quote:Look at the front of my coop, THAT's an open window. Leave the vent open, they'll be OK.
    Jack

x2, the best coop is an open (but protected from predation) coop. Especially in winter. They are good to -40.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by