how to insulate the coop roof?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken Chat, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have read so many sources that now I am really confused, I need your help on how to insulate my roof before winter.

I have a large yard barn coop with a gambrel roof with shingles and two gable vents. I have already insulated the walls last year, no problems with them. This coop has bantam cochins and silkies in it. (which is why I wanted to insulate, they need a little extra help during the winter) At the time I didn't think that I needed to do the roof. I usually run a 100 watt bulb during the winter, pointed at the water to help it not freeze up. This past winter was really cold, however my water never froze over, it usually does, so I think the wall insulation helped. Here was the problem: the inside of my roof was covered in frozen condensation, it has never done that before. I don't want that happening again this winter, it's not good for the chickens and it's not good for the roof. (the walls were not wet or frosty at all, just everything that was not insulated)

I have been working on increasing my winter ventilation. I did increase the size of the two gable vents this summer, they went from 4x16" vents to the 6x16" vents. I have also just added a ridge vent and cut some eave vents on one side of the coop (the cochins roost on the other side, right at eave level, so I don't want a draft over there, so no vents on that side.) I think I should probably insulate the roof as well, would that help? If so, I am not really sure how to do that. I have left over batt insulation, so I would like to use that. Problem is, some of the things I have read on the internet showed the insulation touching the roof sheathing and another place said not to have the insulation touching the roof sheathing. What has everyone else done? I don't want my roof to rot and I don't want to cook my shingles from the inside. Thanks for your help. [​IMG]

2. Tofer76

Tofer76 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Carthage Il,
    Maybe some white styrofoam board or pinkboard??

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree that at this point, the foam board insulation might be your easiest bet. We do have insulation in our ceiling (reg. old fiberglass stuff), and added an extra drop down ceiling FRAME with insulation stapled into it; the frame is removable, as we only use it during the winter. It's held in place with a few blocks of wood screwed into the walls. However, our vent openings are low enough that when we add the frame, they aren't covered. I don't know whether a modified type drop down ceiling would work w/ a gambrel type roof or not, but I would think it would. You may have to leave 6 inches or so on each end if ventilation would otherwise be covered though. PM me if you want more info.

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    You could use something like Reflectix foil insulation. You can buy it at Lowes. I think tekfoil is another brand. It is foil on two sides with bubble wrap in between. Supposed to be a great radient barrier & not bothered by moisture. It gets stapled up & can be run in any configuration, unlike foam board that is rigid. It comes in different widths (16, 24 & 48 inches) and rolls 25 & 50 ft. long. I plan on insulating the roof of my uninsulated coop with this stuff.

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:I used this on the inside of my coop to help prevent heat build-up and I'm quite impressed with it. This might work well for you Chicken Chat because water can't really get into it. Even if you did get bad frozen condensation, it wouldn't degrade. I don't know the R-number on it off-hand, but I don't think it will compare to the high numbers on the pink or yellow hard-board insulation. Personally, I would use the latter stuff but also work on putting a vent into the coop to prevent the condensation buildup. --Todd.

6. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks for the ideas, everyone. [​IMG] I am hoping the bigger vents and ridge vent I put in this summer will help as well.

7. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:I am looking into all kinds of options here. I have been looking at the Reflectix website as I haven't ever used this product. Gallo del Cielo, you said you have this in your coop. Did you allow for any ventilation as the manufacturer recommends and if not, have you noticed any issues?

8. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:I am looking into all kinds of options here. I have been looking at the Reflectix website as I haven't ever used this product. Gallo del Cielo, you said you have this in your coop. Did you allow for any ventilation as the manufacturer recommends and if not, have you noticed any issues?

Hi Chicken Chat, my situation is somewhat different as I'm avoiding heat. We rarely get to 32 degrees but regularly get over 100 so my coop is highly ventilated. I have it so that the air can pass straight through one end and out the other. The chickens roost up in the curved part of the roof where the airflow is greatest.

Here's a pic of it after putting on insulation, but before corrugated roofing material:
    [​IMG]

9. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks for the pic, I see what you mean. You have a really nice coop [​IMG]

10. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks for the props on the coop, sorry I wasn't of more help with your cold weather insulation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by