How to integrate 3 sets of hens and chicks to existing flock

kswizzyswizz

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2022
i have searched and cant seem to find the right answer...

I have 3 moms and 16 chicks between the 3 of them that are all about 1-2ish weeks. i have an existing flock they need to be integrated too, how and when should i do this? they have a large space to free range. The 3 moms are in 3 different run areas with in this space around my coop. how can i effectively introduce them and how long should i wait? while the runs they are in are fine for now, they will soon outgrow it.

I believe you should wait at least 16 weeks before fully introducing them into your current flock to account for any bigger chickens taking advantage of them/trying to mate them.

Introduce them by keeping them side-by-side for an extended period until the birds are comfortable with each other. It could be anywhere from a week to even four weeks. A large run inside the free range area seems to be a preferred way to do this.

It may be easier to try and integrate the chicks and mum's all together around 4-8 weeks and seeing how they will behave with each other. Then when integration time comes you will only need to integrate one group with another not four groups.

I have 3 moms and 16 chicks between the 3 of them that are all about 1-2ish weeks. i have an existing flock they need to be integrated too, how and when should i do this? they have a large space to free range. The 3 moms are in 3 different run areas with in this space around my coop. how can i effectively introduce them and how long should i wait? while the runs they are in are fine for now, they will soon outgrow it.
You could try letting one hen and her chicks out while the flock is free ranging, and watch what happens. Most likely, the other chickens will be curious, but the hen will drive them away. If it goes well, that hen and her chicks can range with the flock every day. Wait another day or two, and try letting another hen & her chicks out. Repeat until you've got them all out.

When it's time to pen the chickens for the night, watch what happens-- they may be fine, or one hen might decide that she & her chicks need the ENTIRE coop. If one hen chases everyone else out, you may have to pen that broody and her chicks separately for the night.

Back
Top Bottom