How to integrate a molting hen back into flock

hazelville

Chirping
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Portland NW
We are newbs and pulled one of our Ameriucana's from the flock about 2 weeks ago because she was being pecked on. We found that she was/is molting and we think the other birds especially the top hen Hazel were pecking her so we removed her and have had her in a brooding box with a heat lamp due to the frigid temps here lately.
So most of her feathers have grown back in and we want to re-introduce her to the flock. If it matters, she is almost 2 years old and only the 2nd of our original 5 birds (2 died and we gave away the rooster) out of 9 hens.
So we read that putting diaper rash creme on her head will keep the others from attacking her.
So my question is, are there any other ways to keep the other hens from attacking her? We were planning on putting her back in the coop at night so they just wake up and she's there. Is that the best way to do it or can someone share their experience of how you re-integrated a hen into the flock.
Thanks very much for your time!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
i HAD THIS VERY SAME PROBLEM LAT FALL.WHEN I PUT HER BACK I DONE IT AT NIGHT AND THE NEXT MORNING THEY STARTED CHASEING HER AND I HAD A SQUIRT BOTTLE ON THE STREAM SPRAY AND EVERYTIME THEY CHASED HER I WOULD SPRAY THEM AND AFTER AWHILE THEY STOPPED,CHICKENS HATE BEING WET.YOU MIGHT HAVE TO DO OFF AND ON FOR A DAY OR TWO BUT IT WORKED FOR ME.HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU

hmm.png
Diaper rash cream for her head? Why?

Get some STOP-PICK from your vet or feed store and smear that on her butt and comb or where ever they're pecking her, and they'll leave her alone because of the bad taste. Do this a couple times a day for about a week, and hopefully by that time she's accepted back by the flock and they won't peck her anymore.

Normally you don't remove a chicken from the flock unless they are in very bad shape, but on the other hand you can remove the bullly for a while. That would rearrange the pecking order and she wouldn't be the boss anymore.

Last edited:
Great advice!
She was in pretty bad shape and had virtually no feathers on her breast and it was really cold so we played it on the cautious side. We lost one recently to a hawk and one 3 months ago due to worms. And because of that one we felt later that if we had taken her out and kept her warm she would have made it...
Thanks for the tips on the bully too because Hazel, our name sake, needs a rooster or something if you know what I mean;)
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom