How to integrate a young silkie pullet...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Godiva, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have what I believe is a white silkie pullet from my last hatch (only pullet out of 6 eggs!!!!) and I am wanting to integrate her with our bantam cochin roo and hen who are 9 months old. The silkie is 11 weeks old. Do you think she is still too young to move in with the bigger (slightly) chickens? I was thinking of making a partition in the chicken tractor so she can be right there but not in harms way initially. HOw long should I wait before trying to integrate....? The bantam cochin hen was her 'mama' and they have all been in sight of each other the whole time, about 3 feet between the chicken tractors... Any thoughts or ideas or experiences to share....

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I think that putting her in a sectioned off part of the tractor is a good idea. Keep her there for a week and then try them together.

Chel

3. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Do you think a week is long enough? I am going to do that as soon as I can so they can start adjusting to each other. I LOVE this forum, so helpful for those of us who are new to this stuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by