How to intergrate chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MuskokaChick, Jun 28, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I have 11 Red Stars (26 weeks old)

I have a coop that is 10x16

The red stars are in a section that is 10x6 with 5 nests (they tend to use 2 nest and a spot under one of the nests, so 3 of them are not being used.

The silkies are in another pen in the coop 4x7.

Now here is the question

I have 13 more red stars coming next Wednesday (15 weeks old)

I am not sure what to do.

make a whole new space for them (perches, feeder and waterer)?
    make a new space, yet make a door to the part where the food, water and nests are?
    just open up their space and put them all in together?

I have a week to figure this out *sigh*

2. What I would do is make a temporary spot for the younger batch where they can see and talk to the old ones, but not be terrorized. After a week, or when they all seem to get along, you can remove the barrier and they should adjust pretty well. Make sure they have food and water in their little spot . . . there will always be some pecking, but really it won't be bad if you give them that get to know you time . . . . plus it helps them to feel more comfy in their new home anyway.

3. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    ok great...that was my gut feeling, but wasn't sure if I was being too cautious or not enough...

My 11 birds get along wonderfully and I am really not wanting to upset the order to much

So I will create the new space, with their own water and food...then after a while I will open it up, as the nest boxes are all in the other section...

not sure if I should make more nests...but I built some nice nest and out of 5 only 2 are being used...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by