How to introduce a Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ardeepapa, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ardeepapa

ardeepapa Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2010
    Hey guys, I'm planning on trying to get fertile eggs from my hen. The only problem is that I don't own a rooster but a friend of mine does. I believe the rooster is over a year old and my hen is around 6 months. Now, is it possible to introduce my friends rooster to my hen for a short time so that he can fertile her? If so, how can you introduce a rooster?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    My first thought is isolate that rooster on your farm for a minimum of 30 days. No matter how good the friend, it's best to do this to be sure that the rooster is not ill. I would say that if you want fertile eggs, then 2 weeks of exposure would give you enough time for exposure.....The other issue is how long the hens have been laying. We require our hens be laying for a minimum of 2 months before using or selling their fertile eggs, because other wise you're hatching pullet eggs which may produce babies but in the long run, we find them not as strong. Thanks and have a blessed day. Nancy

3. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:Good advice.

When we got our rooster, the girls were so happy to see a man, they were like giggling teenagers to trying to get his attention. Once he's quarantined, put him in a small enclosure near the hens so they can check each other out. After a few days, let them be together

4. ardeepapa

Dec 7, 2010
    Quote:Yeah my hen just started to lay and I'm planning to borrow my friends rooster in the late winter or early spring anyways. Thanks for the help!

5. ardeepapa

Dec 7, 2010
    Quote:I will do just that when the time is right. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by