How to introduce a Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kerrie Ann, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Kerrie Ann

Kerrie Ann Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    I have 12 Chickens I want to start raising chicks on my own. I would like to introduce a rooster into my clan. Where do I get a roster? How many roosters do I need? I'm new at this so any information would be greatly appreciated. Also is it important to try to keep the same type of rooster. I have New Hampshire Reds

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You can look here on BYC in the Buy-Sell-Trade/Animals in need of free re-homing section for a free roo; also local newspapers, penny saver papers, etc.
    A rooster of the same breed is only important if you want purebred chicks to later sell. If not, barnyard mixes work well.
    For the safety and comfort of your hens I would look for a rooster of the same size or even a bit smaller than your hens; but not so small that he doesn't have a chance of a successful mating.
    Look to the breeds that are known for their gentle temperments. Do you research and you can also find some info. here on breed temperments:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

After a quarantine of no less than 30 days, I just stick the rooster in with the hens. There's usually some fireworks to start with, especially if there's a very dominant head hen that's not keen on giving up her throne, but unless anyone is getting hurt, I let them sort it out.

To answer your other question, one rooster for 12 hens is plenty. You should get pretty decent fertility at a rate of 12/1.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  3. Kerrie Ann

Kerrie Ann Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    Thank you for the info:)

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by