How to introduce day old chick to 1 week olds?

hyzenthlay

Songster
12 Years
Feb 26, 2009
SW PA
I've seen some of these threads about introduction of different age chicks, but none where the difference was only one week. I'm scheduled to pick up my first 2 chicks (EE and SLW) on 3/30 at the hatchery, and 1 additional chick (salmon faverolle) on 4/6. I can only have 3 chicks to start with, and I keep calling the hatchery to see if they've had any cancellations so that I could consolidate my order to one day, but so far no luck.

Any advice for how I should introduce the new gal? Will she be ok?

Thanks!

Just put her in with the other 2. She will be just fine. I put my day old BLRWs and OEGBs with my week old OEGBs last week without any problems.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
They *should* be all right, but do keep a close watch on them to make sure there isn't any picking or pecking on the new kid. You might want to give them all something to occupy them, a dish of dirt for scratching/dusting, or a clump of grass to peck at.
jumpy.gif
Have fun with your new peeps!
jumpy.gif

Thanks for the advice! I was worried, so that makes me feel a bit better. I got the red lamp, so hopefully that will help minimize pecking, and I will definitely find some fun thing(s) to put in the brooder along with the new chick to distract them--good idea!

I can't wait!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I have day old chicks with two week old chicks for the last couple of days and they seem to be fine. There is no pecking at each other so far and they like to snuggle. Keep an eye but you should be fine.
thumbsup.gif

To add a twist...I have three day olds in with the hen that hatched them. I'd like to move the three day olds in with the store boughts I got last week so I can let my hen go back to her normal life. Can I consolidate my chicks and let that hen go?

I want to do what's best for the birds, for the hen especially because, well, she's one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom