How to introduce my new chicks to my teenage chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SportChick, Aug 5, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have 6-7 week old Barred Rocks (4 hens, 2 roosters) and almost 3 week old Black Copper Marans. The Marans are much more aggressive that the BR's every were at this point. It is warm enough that they could move outside soon although they are not fully feathered yet. I was planning on keeping them until they are mostly feathered and then move them outside. It will be nice to get the barnyard smell out of my dining room!

How do I go about doing this? I was planning to let them outside with the big kids to see how they do but how will I know that they older chickens won't torment them when I'm not watching?

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    hrm. [​IMG] try putting them in a small see through dog kennel (big enough for them to move around though) for about an hour everyday? with bigger chickens you would do this exept leave them there for days. But for the babys I would only go about an hour a day.

but ANYWAYS this will let them see and talk to each other but no one gets hurt [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    There brooder is a rabbit cage so maybe I will try that for a little bit tomorrow. You don't think supervised visits (which would let my little ones get some outdoor pecking time) would be Ok?

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    oh, yes, ofcoarse supervised visits are ok! just as long as your watching them closely. The bigger chickens can do alot of damage to ones younger than them. [​IMG]

-Becca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by