1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to introduce new adult chickens to pre existing 10 week old chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenniferlamar70, Jun 7, 2016.

1. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    So I purchased my first chickens a few months ago. I didn't dip my toe in I wholeheartedly dived in lol. My oldest chickens right now are 10 week old easter egger,2, 6 week old sex links and 3 polish bantams. They all are in the run together and at night the bantams go into a separate smaller coop. I just bought 5 new adult chickens. 2 Ameracaunas,2 cuckoo marans and 1 unknown lol. How do I introduce older chickens into a pen with younger chickens?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    After at least three week having the new birds FAR AWAY downwind, in isolation, then move them next to the flock but separated by a wire fence for a week or so. Then let them all free range together, and separate at night, and finally let them mingle all the time. It will be a process that just takes a while, and your young birds will get lessons in deportment too. Mary

3. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    I put my younger chicken in a wire pen inside the pen with the older chicken so the can see the but not hurt them through the wire for about a week then I move them to the roost at nite so they wake up with them. Works for me. Sure others will have advice.

4. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Unfortunately we don't free range. They all have their own coop. Do I still need to quarantine if I know the people we got them from really well? A friend of my husbands who is a vet tech. I know they haven't ever been ill..

5. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    I was doing the same thing when I was introducing my younger chickens to my older established ones but now this is backwards lol. Introducing older ones to my younger established and much smaller flock. Do i still do it the same way then?

6. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    I would do it the same way.

7. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Ok will do. Thanks for the help. :)

8. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    a picture is a thousand words and a video is a thousand pictures

[​IMG]

9. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Lol thanks for the video. I've actually already read quite a bit on integration. Much more in depth stuff. Unfortunately none of it has information on introducing older birds into a flock of younger birds. This is where I became stumped. Thanks for your help. :)

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by