how to introduce new chick to existing flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sandyjo, May 27, 2008.

1. sandyjo

sandyjo New Egg

May 27, 2008
    One of our hens hatched an egg and we found the chick running loose in our yard. I don't know how she got out of the coop! We brought her in and put her in a glass tank with a heat lamp. She has grown fast. She is about 8 weeks old now. I stopped using the heat lamp when she got all of her feathersI have been taking her outside during the day when it is warm but i don't know when she can go back in the coop with the rest of my chicken. No other chicks lived although the hen is setting again. I have six hen and one very handsome banty rooster.

2. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    I have read a few times to wait till the little one/s are about the same size.
    But I'm still a newbie

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thats what I have read too. She might be getting lonley though:(. Maybe try it with supervision. Thats just a suggestion(and what I would do) but maybe someone has another idea.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I'm about to do the same thing and what I was told was to add them to a box with holes so the other chickens can see them and leave them in there for a day with food and water so the others will get used to them. Then try introducing them to the flock while you watch. I would make sure to have a few hours of time freed up so you can watch to see how they are getting along. Good luck!

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have 20 full grown chickens in the coop, in the "nursery coop" I have a pen that is divided and completely enclosed with chicken wire. I have 11 chooks in one side and in the small side I have one lone chick. she is about four weeks younger than the chooks but since she is out of the brooder now and with only chicken wire separating the one chick from the chooks they can see/hear her. All are getting used to her and the chooks have already been introduced to the full grown chickens. chooks are 6 or 7 weeks old. Chooks have been out into the run with the grown chickens with no problems now but not allowed to free range as yet. I will probably release the youngest with the chooks in another two weeks.
    [​IMG]

6. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I know this is an old thread...can't find info that addresses this? I am in a similar situation & would love some expert opinions. Very clever idea adding the enclosed cages to existing coop. My concern is also mixing flocks & possible sickness being spread?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have also used a cage where I put a piece of wire over the door with just enough room where the chicks can get into the cage to escape the older birds. Eventually they come out and mingle after the older ones decide they don't want to chase the smaller ones anymore and eventually I take the cage out.

8. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    So I have seen the term grandfathered in with chicks from existing flocks, this is supposed to make intros easier? I am still confused how the new chicks that are exposed to new bacteria etc from older hens in existing flock & avoiding sickness? If flock #1 is healthy is it safe to assume babies will be fine since mama has already been exposed & built up immune system to pass on to her chicks? Would the coop need to be disinfected? I hope my raising chickens for dummies answers these questions....waiting for it [​IMG]

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    if the chicks were hatched there on your place I wouldn't worry about "bacteria". when you bring in poultry from outside your place it is important to isolate them from your flock for a couple weeks to be sure you aren't bringing in "bad bacteria" from outside. hope this helps?

10. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Ours were getting crowded so we tried introducing some after they roosted for the night (read somewhere to try that) but it didn't work. We have a little d'uccle banty that isn't very nice and scooched over and kept pecking and the little gals were too scared to sit there.

For right now we've been letting them all free range together and they have been ok and getting used to each other some. The only problem is our hen that hatched her chicks a month ago won't let any of the younger ones near her or them.

We are getting a new bigger run this week and I'm going to put the teens in there and then add in the older flock. We did this before and it worked well. Now if you can't change where they are then that doesn't help! lol!

the babies that my broody hatched. there has been no problem with. They have been in the big coop since a few days after they were born. The other chickens don't mess with them and in fact our blue cochin has become a second mother. They follow her and her coos just about as much as they do their own mama. Kinda cute since she went broody and i have no eggs to let her hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by