how to introduce new chickens to the coop "PICS OF COOP"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by countrygirl911, Jun 20, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    I have 5 chickens that are between 7 and 9 weeks old in the coop already i have 5 more inside that are between 4 and 6 weeks old how can i introduce them to the the older ones in the coop with out them being picked on by the older chickens. I have them in a brooder right now but it is really starting to make my house smell what is the best thing to do any advice will be greatly appreciated

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    I would just put them in there, they should work things out with the others, but you may want to supervise the meating just in case

3. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    ty 4 of the little ones are about half the size maybe a little bigger than the older ones but the 5 baby one is small but is the same age as the rest it has the feathers appropriate for her age but her size is half of what it is suppose to be is it safe to put her in also or should i wait to place her in

4. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    They say it is best at night...then they all just wake up together...

5. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    You could still put the small ones in, but you would have to supervise the meeting then, as the large ones could injure them.

6. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    ok i will try that do you know why the little black sex linked is smaller than the other black sex linked that are the same age she seems so tiney and i worry if i put her out she will be picked on and maybe killed by the other birds shes is nearly half the size she is suppose to be

7. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    does this coop and run look acceptiable it has a door on the front of the building that is made of wood and chicken wire and is only closed at night it is a 10 X 8 with a 16 X16 run how many chickens do u think i could fit in it comfortablythere is a nicve breeze that flows in it also in the winter i can shut the orriginal door half way to keep them warmer plus a light that i will run out to them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I learned the hard way that chicken wire will do one thing well... Keep chickens in. What it will NOT do is keep predators OUT...

I had chicken wire around the bottom of my coop, and an opossum actually chewed through the wire and got 2 of my ducks. I would suggest getting some hardware cloth and burying it at least 2' underground, and 2 or 3' above ground. Chickens are very tasty, and easy targets for many critters...

Hope that helps you out a little, perhaps you can learn from my mistakes =/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by