How to introduce new chickens to the Flock...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by msduras, Nov 27, 2009.

1. msduras

msduras Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2009
    Jennings, Florida
    I have three Barred Rock females, about 35 weeks old, just started laying eggs. We got 2 dominiques and one Silver lace Cochin about 10 weeks...........

The barred rock babes are free range and go into the coop at night to be locked up. The three little ones...are in their separate area. When/how do we introduce? We want them all in the coop together....

2. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Quote:The best time is to put them in at night when they are all roosting, but thats still not a quarentee they'll all get along. I've had some that fit right in off the bat and others that never would. Good luck!!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I finally put the rescue in with the flock.. it's been about a month now that I had her quarantined. She's looking better. I put her in at night but she, the silver spangled polish and a delaware are constantly being picked on. I'm about to move them to their own pen.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I'd wait until the youngsters are closer to full size. I like to do introduce them during the day for a little while when I can supervise. If it goes pretty well--chasing is ok, but not relentless harrasment, I put them in on the roost at night. I do the daytime test run because I can't be out there first thing in the morning when they wake up and I feel better if I have an idea of how they're going to act with the new additons.

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree with Kittymomma they are still way to young to go in with your older hens. The older hens will most likely kill the youngsters.

6. msduras

Jul 6, 2009
    Jennings, Florida
    Thankyou!! I will wait till they are bigger...we have the youngsters behind a chain link fence...and one of the Barred Rock Babes relentlessly paces and, I believe, is saying mean things to them....so we will wait...

But are you serious..will the barred rock babes really kill a youngster??????

7. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:It is called the Pecking Order. Have you heard of it?

8. msduras

Jul 6, 2009
    Jennings, Florida
    Have heard of it yes....but did not think it mean murder...just the order of dominance....lol..boy....learning a lot about chickens!

9. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Dominance can be in the meaning of killing.

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, the youngsters are too small to fight back and can't even run away very well. I've heard of silkies being pretty good when younger chicks are introduced, but I wouldn't even try it with a barred rock. One of my BR's is the top hen and she can be straight up evil--lays well thoug. [​IMG]

Edit because I guess I can't type right while my 9-year old DS is listing all the leftovers available and trying to make a decision--with the fridge door open [​IMG]

I meant my BR not my BA, my Australorps are actually pretty mellow.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by