How to introduce new chicks...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Aisle12Farms, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Aisle12Farms

Aisle12Farms Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    Ok, my "newbee-ness" is going to show on this questions....here goes:
    I have had a flock of 23 free range chickens for approx. 9 months or so. This is an entirely new experience for myself and family, but have really enjoyed it. I recently decided to expand my collection of breeds, and acquired ten new chicks in May. Currently the new chicks are being seperated in a barn stall, safely away from the big girls/rooster. How, and when, can I introduce the new chicks to the existing flock? I want to be sure to do this properly so that the health and welfare of the babies is preserved. Advice is appreciated.

2. dirtfishing1

dirtfishing1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2007
    Blue Ridge Mtns VA
    I put the new birds in a fenced area so that the older birds could see them but not get to them until little birds were at least 10-12 weeks old. Then give them about an hour together for a day or two. then let them stay together.
    They chase the little ones around a bit but no serious fighting takes place. Make sure that the little birds have plenty of room to get away from the older birds. After the first full day it is no big deal anymore.

Hope this helps.

3. Aisle12Farms

Aisle12Farms Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    Thanks for the information...I'll get working on the temp. "play yard".[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by