How to introduce new ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jennyb473, May 19, 2019.

1. Jennyb473

Jennyb473 In the Brooder

May 4, 2019
    We had 13 mallard eggs, only 1 hatched on April 30th. We finally found someplace with ducklings born on May 13th and have brought 1 rouen and 1 pekin home to be friends with our lone mallard, only he's having none of it. He has imprinted on us, specifically my husband, as we were all he had for over 2 weeks. The babies are so cute and get along with each other fine, but our "big boy" is not being nice. At first he ran away from them, now he will tolerate them but will turn on them and grab them by the neck and drag them around. We've separated them but the big guy had a rough night, pacing all night and squeaking at the top of his lungs unless he could see my husband all night. Will they eventually get along? We're hoping by the time the babies are bigger, the mallard will be put in his place, but how do we navigate the next few weeks without having to keep them separated all the time?

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well..I personally just put them together as they free range and swim. They are Ducklings and the older one is scared so bites the other two. Definitely they will bond and you can't worry about them. Just make things fun with more water stations as they play on neutral territory.

3. Jennyb473

Jennyb473 In the Brooder

May 4, 2019
    We hadn't intended to free range, so right now they are all still inside in Rubbermaid bins with heat lamps until they are older and we can get an outside space set up for them. We have a baby jail that we've moved the older one into to separate them, but he doesn't like that at night at all

4. chickens really

They are definitely old enough for outside playing and the introduction would be way smoother so they have space to run away or follow each other.

5. Jennyb473

Jennyb473 In the Brooder

May 4, 2019
    Even at not quite a week old, outside is ok? Maybe we'll try that today.

chickens really likes this.
  6. chickens really

Yes if it's warm and sunny out of wind they love playing outside. Doesn't take long to introduce them when having fun.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

So your talking about a Mallard duckling that was hatched April 30 and the other 2 are less than a week old? I had the same problem I had 2 fawn and White Runner ducklings then when they were 2 weeks old we had a Runner duckling hatch. The two older ones were not nice so when I couldn't supervise I made a barrier out of hardware cloth wrapped the edges in gorilla tape and gave part of the brooder to the 2 week old and the other part to the new hatched it took 4 days before they became best buds. But I didn't not let them grab him by the neck and drag him around. And I'd def not put out that young of ducklings and leave them outside if you have snakes or other predators. I have 3 newly hatched at 2-3 days old now along with one a week old and the other 2 at 3 weeks old. They go out side about 3-4 times a day but only when I can be with them. I had a snake almost kill a 2 days old duckling here and I never want to see that again. @Jennyb473

Jennyb473 likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

:welcome

9. Jennyb473

Jennyb473 In the Brooder

May 4, 2019
    They definitely will not be outside unattended. For now we put the bug Guy back in his original bin and the babies in a new one and they are all happy. We're going to bring the baby jail outside in a bit to see if they will all explore a little together on neutral territory like @chickens really suggested and see if they will become more friendly with each other in small doses over the next few days. We have a kiddie pool coming from amazon tomorrow to try to put all 3 in to give them a bigger space, so we're hopeful by next weekend they will all be friends!

chickens really and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Hope it works out and they will be best buds very soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: