How to introduce new pullets to the older pullets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Monstertone, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Monstertone

Monstertone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Hi, I have 5 -10 week old pullets, and 4 -5 week old pullets. The 10 w.o.'s are substantially larger then the 5 w.o's. Now the the younger group is fully feathered, I decided to let them all meet and see how it worked out. (think since they are all young it may be a good time to let them begin to know each other)

Well, there are two distinct camps and they don't mix. The older birds are chasing and pecking at the younger group. Will this behavior stop?
    Should I keep them separated until they are older?

Any info or advice?

2. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Hi there! Congrats on your 1st post! [​IMG]

I read this when I 1st started here and it worked for us 3 different times now. While your oldest chickens are sleeping in the coop at night quietly releace the younger birds. The older chickens will just wake up and accept the newbies. Now there will be pecking order, but still I haven't had any major pecking after doing this. I do have 2 seperate groups for night time sleeping.

Last night I was so excited to see that my newest group of 9 week olds joined the 20 month olds to sleep last night! Took 3 days, but they are feeling at home now! [​IMG]

3. Monstertone

Monstertone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Thank you!

Well, I hope I didn't screw anything up. I introduced them on Sunday morning, during daylight so that I could keep an eye on them.

They slept in separate boxes last night, side by side, but were still getting harassed when I got home from work tonight.

They are sleeping right now -same pen, different boxes. I sure hope they adjust soon. I like happy chickens!

Tom

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    monstertone, you collect coins?

5. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    sure Monster! I hope everyone gets along! [​IMG]