How to introduce new pullets ?

UTurn

Hatching
Aug 20, 2017
We had three birds, all from hatchlings. Unfortunately, a raccoon was hungry and we lost one. We thought 3 birds were ideal for us. We would like to introduce a new bird to the flock and do not know if this is an easy task or something that might take some special steps.

I was told to have them seperated, yet able to see each other. Also the birds need to be about the same size as the older birds before to coop them all together. Other wise they'll peck at them ALOT. Good luck to you

We had three birds, all from hatchlings. Unfortunately, a raccoon was hungry and we lost one. We thought 3 birds were ideal for us. We would like to introduce a new bird to the flock and do not know if this is an easy task or something that might take some special steps.
When you get a new bird quarantine it away from the flock for a month, to be sure it doesn't have any issues. After that, put it in a shelter near the chickens so they can get to know each other through the safety of wire. Depending on size, I'll do this for anywhere from 3 days to two weeks. Once they are comparable in size let them get to know each other under supervision. There will be pecking as they work out the order of things--but be sure there's no blood letting. If you free range the birds that's the best place for introductions. The senior hen will have to decide if the new hen is allowed in the coop. This may take some time. If there are difficulties allowing her into the roost, you can sneak her in after dark. A lot of people have had success with the latter.

Welcome to BYC!
Not an easy task. Single bird integration is the hardest.
Integration works best with 'extra' and separate space, it's essential IMO.

This might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

As might this:
Here's some notes I've taken on integration that I found to be very helpful.......
......take what applies or might help and ignore the rest.
See if any of them, or the links provided at the bottom, might offer some tips that will assist you in your situation:

Integration of new chickens into flock.

Consider biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article
BYC 'quarantine' search

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Great info. I had thought about the separate pen that was close.
I am starting to let them free range. 1st day today. Pyrenees on leash but did good

When you get a new bird quarantine it away from the flock for a month, to be sure it doesn't have any issues. After that, put it in a shelter near the chickens so they can get to know each other through the safety of wire. Depending on size, I'll do this for anywhere from 3 days to two weeks. Once they are comparable in size let them get to know each other under supervision. There will be pecking as they work out the order of things--but be sure there's no blood letting. If you free range the birds that's the best place for introductions. The senior hen will have to decide if the new hen is allowed in the coop. This may take some time. If there are difficulties allowing her into the roost, you can sneak her in after dark. A lot of people have had success with the latter.

Back
Top Bottom