How to introduce the clicker to a dog?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Nov 11, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am interested in clicker training with my border collie/mix. How should I go about introducing the clicker to my dog?
    Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

2. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

I am interested in clicker training with my border collie/mix. How should I go about introducing the clicker to my dog?
    Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

"Dog meet clicker, clicker meet dog"
    Kidding. Look up Karen Pryor or Clicker Solutions, I believe they both have detailed instructions.
    Good idea, your dog will thank you!​

3. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    From http://www.clickertrainusa.com/chargingtheclicker.htm

Charging
    the Clicker

In order for the clicker to have a meaning we need to “charge” it. This means that we need to tell the dog that this metallic clicking sound means that a treat is coming. We do this by associating each click with a piece of food.

Prepare in advance a clicker and some highly reinforcing treats.
    Regardless of your dog’s behavior, click your clicker and treat immediately after.
    Repeat about 20 times.
    Now, wait for the dog to look in another direction and then click your clicker. If the dog looks up at you to get the treat, he/she is starting to learn the association.
    Repeat these steps twice a day for several days. Work for 30 seconds to 1 minute at a time.
    You can start the training immediately and you don’t have to wait for your dog to learn the association completely.

4. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Important things to remember:

The rate of reinforcement when first teaching an exercise with the clicker must be very high. You need to be clicking/treating at least every 3 to 5 seconds at first.

VERY IMPORTANT: The CLICK is a promise to your dog that he is going to receive a reward. If you click, you MUST TREAT, or the clicker will lose it's power and incentive to the dog.

The clicker is not used to elicit ANY BEHAVIOR. Only to MARK behavior. One of the best explanations I ever got was the CLICK is like taking a picture of the desired behavior, or an approximation of it. The reward should follow the click within 3 seconds to be effective.

Visit YouTube and watch Kikopup's channel for great learning.

5. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    What happens if you lose your clicker?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.) [​IMG]

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Thank You all for the information. I can't wait to start this clicker training adventure with my dog.

Quote:I have already visited her channel and visit it regularly. I believe you were the person who recomended it to me before. It is a very good channel and she seems like a really good trainer. [​IMG]

7. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Quote:The clicker is used in the teaching/learning phase of the behavior. Once the behavior is established and put on stimulus control (verbal command), you don't use the clicker any more.

8. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Quote:The clicker is used in the teaching/learning phase of the behavior. Once the behavior is established and put on stimulus control (verbal command), you don't use the clicker any more.

I knew that. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    haha I should say I have clickers all OVER the place because I can never keep up with them. [​IMG]

10. mamachicken888

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    p.s. Redyre, I really enjoy your training tips and I'm using them with my Max.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by