how to introduce them!?!?!?HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Justino, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    whats the best age and method to introduce silkies to a flock of older 4...BR, EE, RIR, and AUsie......i need to add my 3 silkies to them....

my 3 silkies are 11 weeks old and the other flock is like almost a year old to 5 years old.....

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, 11 week old silkies are probably too small. You're supposed to wait till they are about the same size, and sometimes silkies + standards don't work out the best if they have to share the same sleeping place since they have a big size difference. However, it can be done, I've done it, but don't keep the head roo in the same coop as the silkies or they'd be fuzzy pancakes.

If you do put them together, make sure the silkies can hide or defend themselves and don't get too picked on. I'd wait another few months for them to beef up and get brave.

3. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:so would it be better if i added baby chicks to them? i need to make room for the new ones im getting...

4. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    im gonna try this tommorow.....what if i let them free range together and supervise and break up any fights? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by