How to introduce !?!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AlysiaPolk98, Apr 7, 2016.

1. AlysiaPolk98

AlysiaPolk98 New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Have a rhode island, and a barred rock chick, about idk how old. Lost most fluff, lots of feathers but still small, li[​IMG]ke 5 weeks ? Getting a buff Orpington, and a laced chick, they'll be... a week ?? How to introduce older to younger ? Pictured are my barred rock and rhode island. What should I feed them besides bugs and chick starter ??? Exercises ? Had them since they were way smaller with all fluff

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - great to have you onboard with us.

At around 5 weeks, and considering your location, chicks should be ok being transferred to the coop as they are fully feathered and can maintain their own body heat. They do need to be acclimatised to the outdoors by letting them outside for increasingly longer periods of time. If you begin this now, the brooder should be empty and ready for your new chicks.

Chicks need nothing but starter feed but if you do wish to give them treats, then ensure that you are also giving them access to grit as they need this to break down food in their crop.

These links may help you for the moment.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Cat has left you some good advice on your older chicks been able to go outside so you can use the brooder for smaller ones. There is quite a difference in age with your chicks so putting them together now may cause the older ones to bully the smaller ones. Once they are all grown you should be able to add them together using the see but don't touch method at first. This works well for getting birds acquainted.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. AlysiaPolk98

AlysiaPolk98 New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Unfortunately I don't have a coop yet, I let them play in my yard every few days for around 10mins and I give them grass, crickets, mealworms and chick feed, and tonight gave them oyster shell grit, thank y'all, and I can't just leave them in my backyard due to cats, hawks, vultures, my moms dog and any other number of things, trying to get a temporary coop and I have something for a temporary run, for now they have part of my room with towels on the floor and doggie steps, LOL trying to tame them as well

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've already been given some very good advice so I'll just say hello, it's nice to have you here!

6. AlysiaPolk98

AlysiaPolk98 New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Lol thanks

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] your chicks are adorable

8. AlysiaPolk98

AlysiaPolk98 New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Thank you, I think so too =) now they sleep on my bed , LOL

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  10. AlysiaPolk98

AlysiaPolk98 New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    [​IMG]

My babies the other day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by