How to keep 2 baby chicks warm on a 9 hour drive?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lillypurrs23, Sep 6, 2010.

1. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    How do we keep 2 (yes, we're only getting 2) speckled sussex chicks warm for 9 hours, on the way home from a hatchery? (That means we can't use a dryer or anything like that.)[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There's a product you can buy in the sporting goods dept. at walmart called Hot Hands. Little packs of hand warmers that once activated stay very warm for hours. I've used them before when I ordered chicks for another BYC member and had to meet up with her in another town.
    Please consider getting three chicks, instead of two. Chickens are very social, flock animals. Get two and goodness forbid something happen to one, you'll have a very lonely chick on your hands. Intergrating another one later may not go well.

Good luck with your chicks.

3. Saroco

Saroco Chillin' With My Peeps

if you have any of those hand warmers, you could put a few of those in there... [​IMG] .. Just guessing, I still have a week till I get mine. [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

What Gritsar says. x2

Imp- Always listen to Gritty [​IMG]

5. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    Okay! I just need every suggestion I can get because we're picking them up tomorrow.

6. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Hot water bottle wrapped in a towel...just take a thermos or two of hot water along to replenish/rewarm it it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  7. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    As they said above, hand warmers, hot water bottle. Put them in a cooler for insulation (without the top of course). Put towels or blanket down. They should do fine.

8. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    Okay, maybe we'll use a cooler, right now we were just going to use cardboard boxes.

9. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    get a converter for the cigarette lighter then you can plug a lamp, or heat pad

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  10. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    You could use a hot water bottle and just stop once to refill with boiling water. If you don't have a hot water bottle you can use a rubber/latex glove and fill it with hot water, should last a few hours. If its day time you can probably keep the interior of the car warm enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by