how to keep a chicken calm

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by skayrutledge, Aug 13, 2011.

1. skayrutledge

skayrutledge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    so i am showing my chickens at fair and i am trying to find a food or drink (that wont harm them) that will keep them calm. some thing that will relax them. they love new places and wold rather explore than stand on a table... i dont intend on using it at fair i just need it to help them train. if any one has and trick up there sleave i would exept them gladly:D

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:So long as yo have time you can table train them to pose or cage train them with a show coop, get a pointer to assist in posing them, tapp the cage with teh pointer to get thier attention and pose them then place something like a pice of soft dog treat, or small pieces of soft fruit to the end of the end of teh pointer to keep thier focus. they will associate the pointer with teh treat after having been posed. they will stand still after a few days.

3. skayrutledge

Apr 19, 2011
    i show in FFA and i realy dont know what i do when i get there. this is my first year showing chickens. does any one know if it is any different than 4H

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:It would depend if you are partcipating in showmanship, and if the birds are being table judged or judged in cages.

5. skayrutledge

Apr 19, 2011
    well i am in showmanship but i am not sure if they judge them in the pen or not

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I just got back from the fair and all the chickens handled it extremely well. I don't think you have to worry.

Maybe put your bird into a cage a couple of times and give a few treats, just to get it used to the cage.

In 4H the kids are expected to take the birds out and show them and to answer questions about them. Can you ask your adviser what is expected of you?

7. skayrutledge

Apr 19, 2011
    i sort of did but my advisor does not know much about poulty i am the first poultry student in a long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by