How to keep a white chicken white in the first place

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickgirl201040, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Chickgirl201040

Chickgirl201040 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    Kansas in the Country
    I have some white jersy giants that I want to show in the fair this year. Our chickens are free range and we don't want to have to cage them to keep them out of the sun. We do know how to get them whiter with batheing but we want it to be easier for when we do bathe them so does anybody know of a way to keep the sun from yellowing them like an oil or something of that nature.

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Well as far as the sun aspect goes you have a few options as I see it. I was told by a breeder to let the weeds grow up so their feathers are partially blocked by the sun. I would also try to keep them in the shade when they are let outside. Another thing that causes feathers to yellow is corn. You need to limit their corn intake. Hope this helps

3. Chic_girl

Chic_girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    I did some research about this same topic, when I got my white Sultan, Diana..

I've read that chickens who are fed a lot of corn tend to take on a yellowish, brassy color, but I don't know what you are feeding them. As for sun protection, maybe you can give them access to some shade. Natural shade, like trees or shrubs are good, but I also made shady areas for my ducks and chickens by leaning a few planks up against their wire run. The birds are good about staying out of the sun if they have the option too, but don't expect them to give up sun-bathing!

Also, a few days before your show, definatly give them a bath! It helps get dirt out of their feathers, and makes them fluffy. But don't bathe them too close to the show, or the chickens won't be able to preen their natural oils back into their feathers.
    There is shampoo that I used, meant for white horses and dogs, that has a 'blueing' substance that is good for white feathers. I bought it for our horses, but it works wonderfully on birds too- it made my WCB Polish have lovely white crests! You only want to use very small amounts of that shampoo, because it will tint their feathers an undesirable blue tint!

4. Chickgirl201040

Chickgirl201040 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    Kansas in the Country
    thanks were did you get it I would love to get some

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by