How to keep an ADHD kid still

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jul 22, 2011.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My 7 year old niece had her tonsils out today. Apparently they were huge and it left a big scar. The doctor has warned my sister repeatedly that the kid has to be really still for two weeks so that the scabs don't come off. The problem is that my niece is a VERY active child. She just never sits still. I don't know if she is actually ADHD, but she is in constant motion. She can sit still, she just doesn't do it for long periods of time.

Do y'all have any suggestions of ways to keep her still? She's still sleepy and sore today, but that will wear off soon. We have one of those hand held video things. There are lots of coloring books and such. We have a stash of movies and videos. I suggested playdoh and finger paints. Beyond that I've got nothing. Hints from the moms?

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Duct tape.

Crafts, like pasta paintings may help, or finger painting. You could buy some fabric paint and let her make everyone in the family a special shirt.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Catapult.

4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I also suggested Benedryl and a 5 point safety harness to strap her to a chair, but my sister has poohpoohed those. [​IMG]

The kid is a giver, so making stuff for other people is something she loves to do. Some fabric paint and tshirts is a good idea. Thanks!

5. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Quote:She's scared of cats. [​IMG]

6. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Dang it! I'm definitely no help on this, I clicked because i thought you had a way to. LOL

7. PegramPoultryProprietor

PegramPoultryProprietor Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    As a stay at home dad of twin 4 year old boys with an older brother of 6, I can appreciate your troubles. When I need a sure fired way to keep some attention, I step up the ability level of what they are doing. Example; instead of just open coloring and painting, I put something out to draw a picture of and then draw with them, or string painting instead of brushes. Let them know itÂ’s harder that they might be used to and they might not get it right the first time. The point is to create something more challenging than the normal, something they can achieve, but requiring a little more attention. At 7 you could try some more difficult card games, maybe something that requires some in the head math.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Board games are good, something like a light bright or spirograph or maybe the modern electronic version. Paint toenails, do glitter make up, make-up a pretend land with pretend people, check out some Hank the Cowdog audio books from the library (read by the author, and very funny), have her draw the history of her tonsilectomy, play word games and hangman, try some easy sitting science experiments, and if all else fails, there is always duct tape.

Some of the simple old games kids find very amusing because they have never done them.

These websites have some fun easy experiments:

http://pbskids.org/zoom/printables/activities/

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiments

9. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    She could color pictures and write what she is able, or dictate the story when she's comfortable talking. Does she have any video games? Even the cheap hand-held games can be good. Mom could make a cornstarch/water mix for her to play with and poke. That usually entertains kids for awhile. Homemade playdough in her choice of colors is great, too. My mom likes to scent the playdough she makes for her preschool with spices or extracts.

Moving around isn't as much of an issue as getting the heart rate up is. That could increase bleeding. Mine fell off when I went to prom with a friend. I was good and didn't do a lot of dancing, but trying to talk over the dj did me in.

10. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Oh - I wanted to add something. How about those t-shirts with pony beads that we made back in the 80's? Get an old t-shirt or a new one from the store, some cheap pony beads, and cut fringe in the shirt's bottom and sleeves. Stretch the fringe a little, and wrap around a toothpick to use the toothpick as a makeshift needle. Add the beads, tie off, and voila! That should keep her busy for awhile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by