how to keep automatic waters from freezing in winter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Silkie-Feet, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Songster

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    i have a large number and i have to use my waterer! pls help with some sudgestions. my coop has elextricty( idk if it was spelled right).

2. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Songster

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    pls post!

3. marbekschicks

marbekschicks In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    PA
    Can you describe what kind of automatic waterer you have?

4. Andi

Andi Songster

I hope you don't find this as rude. The intention isn't, but this topic has been discussed in great detail many times. We have a search feature on here that I've found super handy. Sometimes I've found out answers to questions that I didn't even know I should be thinking about. Anyway. Here's a link to a search on freezing waterers. There's a lot of super ideas. I wish you the best. Enjoy your birds!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...ens.com/forum/search.php?action=show_24h#1252

5. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Songster

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    the waterer i have is the one that u just turn it over on its tray to keep it working

6. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Songster

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    Quote:its a 5 gallon, how can i use a heat lamp hmmmmmmm. any sudgestions?

7. marbekschicks

Jul 27, 2009
    PA
  8. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:how big was your water when u used this.
    laura

9. marbekschicks

Jul 27, 2009
    PA
    I used a few different ones. I have galvanized 2 gallon and 1 gallon plastic. I had also used it with a 5 gallon bucket homemade waterer. I used 40 watt bulbs that we left on 24/7 all winter, although we hadn't needed to we just didn't unplug them.

10. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i used to use the automatic types that you use but gave up because they freeze and crack. many people use heaters but those are $40-$50 and that doesn't;t include the $5-$10 waterer. instead of getting the heater i just use a rubber duraflex bucket which is guarantee to be freeze proof. you can buy them at a small size for about $6 so it will save you a lot compared to a heater. i would be worried about a chicken getting burned if you use a heat lamp. some people put vegetable oil over their bird baths to keep them from freeze so you could try that. i don't think it will fully stop freezing over but it will slow it down. many people get two waterers and keep one inside to thaw out and then put it out when the other one freezes over. ive found that hens eat snow so if it is frozen for a hour or two they will be okay if they have access to snow.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by