how to keep chick water clean

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sammimom, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Sammimom

Sammimom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    My four chicks are about 3 1/2 weeks old, and still growing nicely in a very large dog crate in the laundry room. However, I'm finding it impossible to keep their water clean, it is a small plastic "chick" water container, an inverted "jar" style with a tray at the bottom. They poop and walk in the tray portion all the time. How do you all solve this? Could I train them to use a water bottle (such as a rabbit variety) at this age? I don't see a way to hang the current little container I have, nor do I have room to put a large hanging water dispenser in there for them.

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    try raising the waterer up a few inches seems to help

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They can use a water bottle, or you can use a small block of wood to set the waterer on. You don't have to hang it.

4. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I put a picket fence of chop sticks, rubber-banded around the glass jar, which extended up about 4 inches over the top of the waterer - this kept the chicks from sitting on the top and pooping over the edge. It didn't keep them from kicking shavings into the water (although raising it up on a brick helped that some), but it kept most of the poo out of the water. It was a cheap fix and it worked great. Hope this helps.
    and . . . . [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Lift it up.. and continue to raise it as they get older.. Make a cone out of paper or light cardboard and tape it to the top of the waterer....that way they won't try and get on top of it.

6. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Our chicks are 3 weeks old (32 of them) and yes I too was cleaning their water container out 5 or more times a day... since we made them a bigger brooder I raised their water container and their food container its wonderful... only have to clean it 2 maybe 3 times a day [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Yep, raise the water up to the hight of their backs. Make sure the riser is the same circumference as the waterer base or they'll all hop up on it and make a mess of it up there.

8. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Quote:Wow thats a really good idea... Why dont they MAKE chick waterers with guards on them in the first place?

9. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:GENIUS! [​IMG]

10. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:GENIUS! [​IMG]

I see a patent in the works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by