How to keep chicken coop cool?

CPT

Songster
Sep 19, 2017
Star, Idaho
Hi all:

I have a walk-in outdoor coop, and the hot summer sun hits the doorway around 5-7 pm.

I've been keeping all of my empty juice containers and filling them with water, freeze them and put them around in the coop at night to keep it cool.

My biggest concern is that it's going to hit the 105 mark in a few days. I really need to push out all that hot air. The open door and open windows in the coop don't seem to cool it down enough. Would a box fan work? A shade over the door? Suggestions please......

Shade over the door is a good place to start. If it was me and a fan was feasible, I'd add that too. It's amazing how much shade helps to reduce the temps. And, if you place the frozen juice containers in front of the fan, that will also increase the effectiveness of both. The ice will melt quickly, but hopefully it will at least last until the sun starts to set. Hopefully others will chime in with even better suggestions. Good luck.

My coop gets cooked by the sun after about 2pm, and the west sun is brutal until it drops behind the trees 100' away. I have a box fan in the east window blowing cool(er) air into coop to push out hot air, it's not instant or drastic(depending on overall temps and humidity) but it sure helps especially if it actual cools off later in day. Can kinda see it here.

full

I also have shade cloths over run and covering part of west side of coop.
Can kinda(again) see it here.
upload_2018-7-28_20-1-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-28_20-0-45.png
    upload_2018-7-28_20-0-45.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom