how to keep chickens cool in hot, humid nebraska?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NewChickenMom, Jun 3, 2008.

1. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    it's about 82 degrees with crazy high humidity, how do i keep my chickens cool?? i've filled their waterer with cold water, but they are still panting. any ideas?

2. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    well if you figure that one out let me know how to do the same here in Georgia! I have sprayed the top of the run down and sprayed the chickens but they dont like the water.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Hey I'm in central Nebraska.....

I let my crew out to free-range when it gets super hot...... they all head staight under the fruit trees and dig around, lie around in little holes they've dug....
    the tree's are heavy with leaves, and pretty close to the ground, my kids have to bend over to get under them, its super under those trees....

I also go out now and then and spray water under there - they love the mud.

If they're still in their run for whatever reason, I make sure they have plenty of water, and I also pour water in to make mud..... I have tarps over sections of the run for shade......

(reminds me - I need to buy a fan) I'm going to hook up a small fan to circulate the air.....

4. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Try keeping them cool in 115 degree heat! That's what it is in West Texas this afternoon. We put up shade cloth over the run, and set up a big fan, but they are panting. It's going to be a hot summer here.

5. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    spraying down the ground they are on with cool water helps. but a word of caution on that - if there's 1 thing i learned from cattle that transfers to chickens its that if you start spraying them too early in the summer they won't make it by the end. your basically gonna handicap their heat-tolerance if you don't make them have to "deal with it" when its the cooler part of the summer. in other words if they are panting when its 85 try to avoid spraying down, wait and just give them shade, somewhere with a breeze, and fresh water. wait til it gets closer to 95-100 to spray the ground. feed less whole corn, the digestin process raises body temp (which is why its great to feed right before dark in the winter).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by