How to keep chickens from drinking from puddles in the run?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by walkerkm, Dec 12, 2010.

1. walkerkm

walkerkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Ma
    What can i do? Any way to stop them or neutralize the dirt/sand? Is it harmful? They have plenty of fresh water in their coop....

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I don't think you can, mine do it all the time with no problems, and I wouldn't worry about it unless their is some thing really bad getting in the water (chemicals, etc.).

3. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Pictures are worth a thousand words [​IMG]

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It's very unhygienic for chickens to do this but if you can figure out a way to stop them could you let me know how you achieved it? Seriously- stagnant water is a menace to their health especially stagnant water that also has poop in it. I have been filling in any holes they make with sand, but they just use the freshly filled holes as new dust bath areas and promptly empty out the holes enough for them to fill back up with water when it rains. Silly birds. [​IMG]

5. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    It is best to make sure your run does not get puddles.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Improving drainage away from run first choice. Second choice is to add a lot of sand to raise ground level and enable water to infiltrate soil better. Digging a couple trenches 6" or so deep in run connecting with low spot outside or down hill slope outside and backfilling with sand may enable better drainage as well.

7. walkerkm

Jul 21, 2009
    Ma
    Thanks. There only 2 small small puddles which are the 2 locations they dug up for a dust bath. I just keep swishing the water out of the run... Sometimes they beat me to it. Just don't know why they do it, it can't taste good...

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:I think in nature, based on where ancestors of chickens come from, they are adapted to use stagnant and evaporating bodies of water. Difference is waste collected in run of poultry origin and likely more concentrated, a lot more feces and potentially uneaten feed. Unless number of birds low and run big, I would invest effort in denying birds access to puddles. Simply filling puddles with sand may fix problem for short-term.

9. walkerkm

Jul 21, 2009
    Ma
    Run was clean and dry yesterday, until the weather warmed up and decided to rain... I'm in MA so it should be snowing not raining...

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    They're chickens--it's see water; drink water--I doubt that they taste it. They're just doing what come naturally and, presumably, they have bacteria in their gut that will neutralize any bad microbes. They'll eat their own poop too and pick through manure for fly eggs/larvae--if this bothers you, you're probably keeping the wrong animals. Oh wait, dogs and cats will drink out of the toilet.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by