How to keep chickens out of my vegetable garden? Show me your solution

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by skatcatla, Feb 20, 2008.

1. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    I have a very small space; just a small suburban yard. I like letting my girls get a bit of free-ranging time (and they definitely need it) but they just devastated my raised bed planters, even with a "barrier" around it. Anyone have some good fencing materials they use they want to show me photos of?

2. sunnysidecluckers

sunnysidecluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

you can either use chicken wire or a plastic fencing that comes in rolls. I have it at least 3 to 4 feet high all the way around my veggie area and make sure that it is secure enough at the bottom so they can't slip through. So far they show no interest in trying to get to the veggie garden.

good luck

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I put a white picket fence in front of the garden and I will be adding a low wire fence or chicken wire on the other side to keep the girls from wondering under. It's the only way I could think to keep chickens and dogs out of my garden. I think I'm going to try and plant Cosmos along the fence but I'm betting they will eat them before they can grow... Anyway, here is a picture of what we did.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Another thing to do is to plant marigolds around the edges where they can grow through the fence. They are pretty, fight bug pests naturally, and are easy to grow. Plus, they are colorful to attract bees & butterflies. But they must not taste too good because my peeps don't eat them, and I've seen them taste one and then shake their heads to spit it out!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  5. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Good suggestions all, keep 'em coming! I had some of that flexible plastic fencing stuff that you use with the metal stakes, but it was hard to secure well and too easy for them to push through any gaps. Plus, it looked really ugly. I might have to check out picket fencing..is it expensive?

6. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Mine was more than I wanted to pay but I bought it at Lowes, I've since seen them on Craigslist for less. I also see individual pickets for sale that you can just build a fence with. Doing it yourself will be less money, look more rustic and a fun project. I've seen willow fences that people make that are just amazing, but I'm not that talented.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by