How to keep ducklings inside the same coop as 3 month old duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AmberCamilia, Apr 2, 2017.

1. AmberCamilia

AmberCamilia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2017
    Hey everyone! My 3 month old duck lost her mate not too long ago, so I got four ducklings to keep her company. They are now 2-3 weeks old and I was wondering if I could keep them inside the same enclosure as my eldest duck. I've already introduced them and they get along phenomenally. However, I'm not sure how to feed them. Daisy, the 3 month old, eats 15% protein feed, but the ducklings feed on 20%. What do I do? Or will I just have to wait until the ducklings are old enough to be switched onto a 15% feed? Thanks!

2. Vyctoria

Vyctoria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I don't want to say for sure on the feeding because I'm no expert, but I do know that when I integrated my ducklings with the older ducks, I put up a barrier in their coop for a while. That way they could see each other, but couldn't mess around. Sounds like yours are already aquainted though, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it for you. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in about whether you can just switch the feeds, because that would certainly be easier. :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Congrats on your new ducklings @AmberCamilia I have always feed 20% to all my flock young and older ones Purina Flock raiser crumbles it's okay to feed them the same or mix their feed together and offer. The only thing you have to be careful about is angel wing when feeding higher protein but I have never had a problem with flock raiser. it's formulated all all breeds and ages.

But do use Nutritional yeast for their first 10 weeks 1 Tab per cup of feed very important for leg and brain health.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. AmberCamilia

Jan 5, 2017
    That does sound like a wonderful idea, but, like you mentioned, I believe my little babies are already close by now. I'll keep this tip in mind though if I ever get new ones. Thank you!

5. AmberCamilia

Jan 5, 2017
    Thank you Miss Lydia. I love my new babies but I sure do miss little Jasper.

So I can just feed all of them the Purina Flock raiser crumbles? I am currently feeding them Dumor chicken starter/grower feed. Also, I have a vitamin and electrolyte powder that mixes into their water, would this be the same as the Nutritional Yeast or should I just stick with the yeast?

Thank you!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not sure how much Vitamin D3[Niacin] is in your vit mix. it needs to be at least 150 mgs daily.

That feed is good also but what's nice about Purina Flock Raiser who makes Dumor is they never have to change from one feed to another unless you want to feed them layer when they are older but that isn't even necessary if you offer Oyster shell once they begin laying. Don't toss out what you have though. With the price of feed.

I bet you miss Jasper I am glad you got some new ducklings to love on and for your only duck. @AmberCamilia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by