How To Keep Free Rangers Out Of My Flowers????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jen1les, Jan 30, 2011.

1. jen1les

jen1les New Egg

Jan 28, 2011
    I have 5 RIR's and 1 Buff Orp. I love to watch these girls roam around, but its becoming a pretty daunting task trying to keep my bushes and flower gardens in shape. The second I finish raking the mulch back in and cover up any roots they may have exposed, they come and start digging again. I don't want to keep them pinned up all the time. Are there any tricks or tips on how to keep them out.

2. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Multi-step program:
    1. Clip wings so birds are not inclined to fly over 3 or 4 ft fences
    2. Have hanging plants
    3. Fence all beds and delicate plantings and edibles behind minimum 3 ft sturdy fences. My vege garden is a 6' chain link enclosure that is 25x40.
    4. Don't spend more than a dollar for anything you plant'
    5. Cover all new plantings until quite large (shrubs, trees, vines) with chicken wire. This year I am leaving the figs inside their winter mulch ring. Will just open it up, clean out the hay and close it up so the chicken don't eat the figs before they are ripe.
    When all else fails, give up on having a garden.

So far the only thing they have not eaten has been Calla Lily (poison), Licorice Root (poison) Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Rue, Passion Flower and Blackberry vines w/ thorns. The most damage is from dirt bathing, and I have spent a lot on chicken wire in an effort to protect the plantings. It is an ongoing battle, and I am most grateful I don't live in town. Between the chickens and the grasshoppers I lost 90% of my gardens last year. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good Luck

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    the only things mine haven't destroyed are deer resistant plants (some poisonous but they haven't eaten them) with rocks >5" in diameter around the plants to keep them from digging the roots. they also leave roses and most herbs alone. Other than that everything is fenced to keep the monsters out. You could get a chicken tractor to allow them access to fresh ground and move it every few days.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    When mine free ranged I had to fence IN my flower gardens...

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I am planning on laying some leftover wire down in my flower beds to at least stop them from digging up everything. That wont stop them vrom eating everything, but at least they wont be digging it up! I hope...

6. jen1les

jen1les New Egg

Jan 28, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I plan on placing a picket fence around some raised beds this year. As for rock around the flower garden, the heat here in the south is enough to bake the roots under the rock. I might experiment mulching over the rock on some cheaper plants. Looks like I might have to fence them in on a corner some where. Too bad I love watching them explore everywhere. NO MAGICAL SPRAY/SERUM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by