How to keep hawks at bay?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Zahboo, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I have chickens;5 standards 4 bantams. I am getting pigeons and that's why I'm worried. We have hawks here, badly. The sky is open above our house but there are woods diagonal from our yard. Hawks appear out of NO where and dissapear just as fast. How can I keep my pigeons safe? What is a hawk deterant or will the chickens and pigeons be safe? They are ornamental rollers if that helps...

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    hanging cds from small monofiliment fishing line helps, but if you live in the country loud booms seem to work for us, we dont shhot at them but just fire off a 20 gauge shotgun shell

3. Here is one sure fire way.

*It is the responsibility of the person with the predator to determine the legalities of what they do and that person will take ultimate responsibility. BYC does not condone illegal acts.

sorry, I could not resist.​

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2009
  4. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    *It is the responsibility of the person with the predator to determine the legalities of what they do and that person will take ultimate responsibility. BYC does not condone illegal acts.​

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2009
  5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Well it's illegal and I'm a minor, not sure mom would be glad if I'm shooting at or because of hawks.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Try stringing up some fishing line with some foil or ribbons or CDs or even windchimes. Whatever you have access to.

I agree your Mom MAY have a problem wih armor piercing ammunition.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    So shiny objects on string okay! How does this repel them if you don't mind sharing? I've never heard of that. I've heard of the little owl statues repelling birds but idk what kind.

8. Bassleg

Bassleg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    It's not a matter of what to do about it it's how far do you lead them!!

9. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:Thats a MAJOR gun. So, does a major cancel a minor? [​IMG]

Couldn't help myself...........again. [​IMG]

10. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:They don't like the reflection... I have read that it looks like fire to them. It certainly does seem to work. I use CD's and DVD's strung onto fishing line and haven't seen a hawk in my yard since I put them up. I hear them close by and occasionally see one flying overhead but they don't stop here any more. If you have a large open area, I tied the CD's every 10 feet or so to a much longer strand and ran from one tree to the other, keeping the line about 10 feet off the ground (high enough that they aren't in your way). The effects are similar to a disco ball but very random.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by