how to keep hawks away?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Justino, May 21, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    i have red tail hawks all over and i dont like to leave my birds out when im not home because of that....is there anyway to keep them away? like a scarecrow [​IMG]

2. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    get some manequins. of crows owls and bald eagles and put them up this will help.. also another idea is this hawks are extreemly territorial, there of if they belive they are in another birds teritory, they generally leave so mount several reflective balls on high poles..

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Some members have posted about stringing lines with CD's on them. Here, all raptors are protected by law so we've just roofed our run. Also, continue to give your birds places to get under shelter, remembering that foxes and coyotes will use nearby shrubs for cover, too.

4. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I've had hawks buzz me standing in the middle of my yard watching my chicks. Once I had a hawk attack a chick about 6 feet from where I was sitting on a log. I got within 2 feet of it and all the commotion before it flew off. Stupid me...It would have torn me up had I actually gotten a hold of it, but I was trying to protecting my babies.

5. Wraith

Wraith Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Upstate SC
    We have hawks about and I worry about what they will do to the chickens we are planning to get. One tried to get my mother's cockatiel in it's cage. We don't plan on letting them range much unless we are there, but I'm hoping I can train my dog to look after them a bit as well...he'll probably turn out to be a bigger threat than the hawks.

6. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    We have a lot of red-hails here too. We had to cover the run just to prevent them from going inside the coop to grab dinner... [​IMG]

You could also try fishing line too. I read some place to string it across the yard (if you have trees) The invisible type (not a fisher but I suppose its not so noticable type)- [​IMG]
    Anyway, once strung along, the hawks will not be able to spot it and bump into it on their way down and it scares them off.
    again, I guess this all depends on if you have trees in the yard/ field to do this. People I suppose choose this rather than a bunch of CD's flappin around. Me I'd choose just to detere the hawk any which way possible....[​IMG]

7. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:if a hawk attacked my chickens in front of me, the first thing id do is grab a nearby shovel of something big and smack the u know what outa it until its dead! :mad: u better watch out hawks, Justinos on partol [​IMG]

8. Wraith

Wraith Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Upstate SC
    Hawks are allergic to bullets...but I think they are protected. The ones I've dealt with don't seem to scare easily either. They are pretty bold. My wife says to just stand guard with a broom, but I like the shovel idea. Or a shotgun, but then you have that whole legal thing to worry with. There are plenty of songbirds they can eat without bothering chickens.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  9. nautical_bouy

nautical_bouy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    Don't kill the crows.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    justino15:

For what its worth, the Hawks around here seem to be adversely affected by things that produce a loud "BOOM" type noise.

My personal choice is made by Remington Arms, specifically a Model 1100, 12gauge, 3" Mag with a vent rib, full choke, 30" barrel.

Kentucky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by