How to keep muscovy's out of the chicken water?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iamcuriositycat, Oct 31, 2011.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I just got chickens for the first time this fall, and added two little muscovys this past summer. I always figured I'd just put the chicken water up where the ducks couldn't reach it and that would be that. But. Muscovys fly.

So.... how do you keep the ducks from fouling the chicken water? They free range during the day... Thanks!

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:[​IMG] long time no see! Scovies huh? Cool! .... I wish I could help, but never had ducks and chickens together.... Sorry! But it was good to see ya!

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi Duckgirl! Yeah, I tend to be rather spasmodic in my ventures--I go crazy in one medium for a while then switch to something else for a few weeks or months, and so on. I usually make my way back to my favorites eventually, and this is definitely one of my favorites. Good luck, on the other hand, finding me on Twitter--I post there about once every three months, lol.

Good to see you, too, and thanks for the welcome back! [​IMG]

Oh, hey, for fun, here's something I've been up to: Coturnix quail interpretive dance

A lot of folks over on the quail board got a kick out of that, so I thought I'd spread the joy.

[​IMG]

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Have you thought about a nipple watering system for the chickens? The ducks may still want to use it- but since they cant even get their whole bill into one of these things they may loose interest in trying to use it.

This is from an Australian site- but I would guess that they would be available somewhere over there.

http://www.bellsouth.com.au/drinkers/using cup systems 2010.asp

( Scroll down for some pics and ideas for set ups. )

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:[​IMG] not really sure what that was... [​IMG] but it was funny!..... Curious... Did you ever sell the magpies? Do you still have runners? Glad to see you! Was wondering latly welhere you were.... Lol...

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:[​IMG] not really sure what that was... [​IMG] but it was funny!..... Curious... Did you ever sell the magpies? Do you still have runners? Glad to see you! Was wondering latly welhere you were.... Lol...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by