1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to keep my flock warm

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TwoDogFarm, Feb 17, 2015.

1. TwoDogFarm

TwoDogFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    I have a couple of questions for you. Our weather has turned brutally cold over the past few days and it will be so until the weekend. We had a cold wind the other day and with the windchill, it felt like -4 out there. The next morning, we were worried because our mallard drakes appeared to be having trouble walking and kept stumbling.

We see that the actual temp for Thursday night is supposed to be down to -1. This is very unusual weather for us here as we usually very rarely even see single digits. We put heat lamps up in our coop and have some dog houses and igloos for the ducks and chickens to get into that are lined with hay.

Will my chickens and ducks be okay when it gets down that cold or is there something else I can do? I feel like as long as ducks can keep their legs and bills warm, they will be okay, but I know that our chickens have fewer feathers. We have one chicken that likes to keep to herself, even when all the other chickens are huddled together and I worry that she will be the one that freezes before the others.

Also, what about the eggs? We have been collecting eggs over these last few days, but I'm not sure if they are safe to eat if they have been outside in temps low enough to freeze the insides.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Please - read ALL the other threads on chickens, cold weather and if you should heat your coop or not. There is a plethora of helpful information.

Your eggs will be fine. They may be a little runny, but they're perfectly safe.

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Take the heat lamp down, it can cause more problems than it will solve.....fire being the biggest risk.
    They will be fine as long as they are out of the wind.
    The ducks should be fine in the igloos with lots of straw......again if they are out of the wind.

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have cold hardy fully feathered healthy birds?

If so, they will be fine with temperatures much lower than your area has ever seen, assuming they have a draft free shelter.

5. goldfishes

goldfishes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2014
    WV
    TwoDogFarm - I just posted the same thing practically. This first winter is hard for us newbies! :) If it helps, it got down to -2F this morning and all the chickens are alive and well. This is with two being mid-molt. I didn't heat and made sure there was plenty of air for them. Right now, it is around 6F and it's been between 0 - 6 all day. Also, our weather normally doesn't get much below 20. Hope this helps. You could look at my recent thread for a lot of wonderful advice given to me.

6. TwoDogFarm

TwoDogFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thanks, everyone. Yes, my chickens are fully feathered and they have seemed to do much better than I thought so far in this weather. Yesterday morning, the temperature registered -9 degrees here, but my rooster was out walking around crowing like it was nothing. I guess I just worried for nothing. I know I couldn't survive these temps, but I guess they do a lot better than me. [​IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The second winter/year is easier....cause you've been thru it all once already!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by