How to keep nastiness out of baby chicks' waterer? =/

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sunshyne276, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    I bought one of the small (6 inches tall, maybe) automatic waterers for my little chicks (all around a week old or so).
    I thought that would keep the nastiness from getting in the water!
    Everyday, they have kicked anything & everything into their water!

Is there a better way?

2. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I put my waterer up on bricks it stops them from doing that. In the coop I use a really big block.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Nipple waterers- make em yourself for cheap and mine have used them since out of the egg. No mess!!!! [​IMG]

4. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    I have both a drop waterer (like for bunnies) and a nipple type waterer and have used them since the girls were maybe 3 weeks old with great success. Really cuts down on the mess!

5. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Really, they can use a rabbit-style water bottle? That might just work for me!!

And, the nipple waterer, how does that work? I'd love to have a nice set up for the coop.

Thanks!! [​IMG]

6. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

I too use bricks. By the time they are old enough to cick crud into the water, they are old enough to jump up 3-4 inches to sit on the water platform. Those cement stepping stones are the best cuz they have lots of room to stand and put the water far away from the stuff on the floor.

7. Xanthro

Xanthro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Use plain rabbit waterers, the type with a little ball on the end. It takes them a day or two to understand how to get water from it. That's in a day or two old.

They'll peck at anything new, and if it rewards them, they'll keep coming back.

Chicken's can and will poo in anything that is open. Plus, you'd be shocked how high and far a week old chick and kick poo and bedding.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I highly recommend nipple waterers. I've made about four of 'em, including one from a 5 gallon bucket, with 3 nipples on the bottom, for use in the run. I have single nipple waterers I use in coops and in the brooder.

9. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have my water up on blocks which keeps the poo and shavings out , but I swear that the 3 month olds take a mouth full of food and spit it into the water! There is always food in the water. [​IMG] I may have to try a nipple waterer for them.

10. beth59

beth59 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    Mine still manage to get poo and shavings and whatever in their water, even placing it on blocks. I've ordered some nipple waterer supplies to make my own waterers. Should be here soon and can't wait to see how they work for us!

Beth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by