1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to keep one sick flock from getting the healthy other flock sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rooster brandon., Nov 6, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    if one flock is sick and you are getting another flock like 100 feet away from the sick flock would the healthy flock get sick how could i keep the heathly flock from getting sick the healthy flock is bantams if that help so how could i keep one flock from makeing the other flock sick and would the air pick the virus up and carry it to the other flock?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    sorry didn`t make much sense of it does any body have any other advice?

4. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    AND there is two other flock real close like 5 feet away from the sick flock what do i do to keep them healthy?

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    When you go out each morning to feed and water wear clean clothes and take care of the healthy birds first. Then care for sick flock and do not go back and forth between pens. Also wear different boots or shoes for each flock and do not mix them up! Each a.m. start out wearing clean clothes... And don't forget about the footwear! Also don't mix up their waterers or use same feed buckets.. You can carry sickness on your hands so be aware of that also...

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    It would help to have pics of your set up.

I have a coop that is divided but both flocks can see each other so it would be hard for me. I suppose technically they are one flock but the Dels are seperate. One roo and his hens.

Now if you have two coops 100 feet apart that's a little better. Treat the sick flock and watch for signs of illness in the second. Make sure your healthy flock has the best nutrition you can give them and I would give them vitamins as a precaution. It Can't hurt but might help. The healthier your flock the less likely they will get sick. Make sure air flow from one coop to the other is blocked. This can be done with a "wall" of tarps or shrubbery. Make sure water and coop are as clean as possible. Of course it all depends on what the sick birds have.

A good bio security plan willl help. Change your clothes when going between coops. Don't wear the same shoes or wash them with a disinfectant. Don't let anyone who has birds come into your coop. Unless you trust them. Don't buy eggs from people you don't trust. Birds can be carriers. Quantine any sick birds immediately and have an infirmary for sick birds. Not if they get sick but when. Keep all wild birds away from your flock. Don't over feed scratch so that there is leftovers on the ground for vermin or wild birds.

Of course all of this may seem impossible but do your "best". No one can expect more than this. Chickens can be fragile and drop dead for unknown reasons. Seem perfectly fine in the morning and dead in the afternoon. One sick bird does not spell epidemic, two, three, four and you've got a problem.. Again the minute you see or suspect somethings wrong seperate the bird.

Hope this helps
    Rancher

7. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    [​IMG]
    ok do you see the white door to the left of it there is a white barrel standing up well that is another flock and to the right of the big blue storage building there is a serama flock the small wood box well the white door houses the sick flock and it goes under the blue building how do i keep the two flock from getting infected?

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If you are ranging I would not let the sick flock out until they are well. Do you know what they have? Try to keep the two flocks as seperated as you can. As I stated I would give the non sick flock vitamins and keep them as healthy as you can. Keep the sick flock as seperate as you can and treat them.
    Try to figure out what is wrong with the sick flock. What are their symptoms?

9. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Coughing sneezing and my rooster had bubbles in hs eyes yesterday but not today but today one of my buff orpington hens has tiny bubbles in the corner of her eyes.........

10. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I don't know what it is, but it wouldn't hurt to start them on antibiotics asap. You could do a google search of the symptoms and see what you come up with. Has it been damp and cold or damp and warm? Make sure you have good ventilation. Chickens can deal with the cold better than the heat. Remember that. Chicken will succumb to the heat quicker than the cold. FYI, each standard chicken can generate 10watts of heat.

If you see or smell dampness in the coop it's time to clean it and recheck your ventilation. Water nipples in the coop will keep it dry.

Start your non sick birds with vitamins and keep them away from the sick birds.

Wishing you the best
    Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by