How To Keep Radishes And Bok Choy

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Carolyn, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    A freeze is expected tonight so when I went to the farmers market today all I could think about was how long it will be until next spring. I bought extras on some things that I know I can freeze before they pass peak. The large German radishes and bok choy I am not so sure about. If I can't eat them all can I dehydrate them or freeze them? I found something on line that said I could freeze the bok choy but wonder how good it will be for a stir fry if I do. Radishes I couldn't find info on freezing or dehydrating. Any help appreciated of course I may just eat them all before I need to make a decision.

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I was going to attempt dehydrating my surplus radish, but the dehydrator is full of pears, cinnimon squash, and okra (not at the same time) I need a bigger or another dehydrator.

If you freeze the radish it will thaw mushy. I have been cooking mine (really good) I was going to see if I cook it first then freeze it how it would be dehydrated.

I think the bok choy would be fine in stir fry after freezing.

Oh and if you like kimchi, I found several recipes on line for that, I haven't had time to try them yet, but they look interesting.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  3. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    I put on row covers so I can have several more weeks. My bok choy is almost ready. And I still have radishs in thd ground. They should be fine.

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Try pickling some radishes! There are a zillion recipes out there! I freeze bok choy all the time, it comes out just fine.

5. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Pickeled radishes....sounds pretty good. I'll look that up. Thanks.

6. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Thanks. I was hoping to have both those + other things in a fall garden but a broken ankle messed up all my gardening plans. I am now thinking those radishes may not need a long term plan. I loved going to the farmers market while I was in Alaska visiting family. The radishes there were like nothing that grows in the sunny south but these large German type radishes are the nearest I have found here.

7. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Don't know how it would work with the bok choy but I've had pretty good luck keeping regular cabbages by burying them under a pile of straw right in the garden.

Put a good layer of straw down on the ground. Cut the bigger outside leaves of the cabbage off and put them root side up on the straw with a little space between them. Pile a big pile of straw on top.

I use a full bale of wheat straw for a dozen heads.

Those radishes and bok choy would also make good kimchi.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by