How to keep the pairs together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hosspak, Oct 3, 2013.

1. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    When I decide to pair off my breeds, do I have to segregate them totally from all others? Will this cause a problem with-in the flock to keep the pairs cooped up or should I let them out for separate free range time? [​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Roosters will breed any hen that is available. Roosters don't care if you are trying to breed purebred chickens. You will have to keep them separated at all times.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It doesn't matter if you keep them cooped or let each pair out. You just need to keep the hen you want eggs from from being with a rooster you don't want breeding her during that time.

4. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    I think I read that I need to make sure the hen hasn't been with another roo for at least 2 weeks before I start collecting her eggs for hatching. Is that about right?

5. chickenlover28

chickenlover28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Dyer, Indiana
    Yes separate into breeding pens. 2 wks is correct.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's what I've heard, that a hen can store sperm internally for up to 2 weeks. So, if the hen was available to a rooster you don't want to hatch from, you'll need to have her away from the undesirable rooster(s) for 2 weeks, then you can start incubating eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by