How to keep the peace between a new rooster and a dominant hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThreeLittleCritters, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ThreeLittleCritters

ThreeLittleCritters Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2011
    Athens, GA
    Hi all! I am in need of some advice! We are getting a new rooster soon and I'm worried about how my dominant hen will handle this. We got our last rooster as a chick and he got along with her fine until he reached sexual maturity. Once he started trying to do rooster business she wasn't having it and there was lots of fighting. Her comb ended up getting hurt pretty bad. That rooster also had aggression issues and he went to the soup pot. So any tips on introducing a new rooster to our flock (particularly the dominant hen)? I've successfully added new hens before but never a mature rooster.

2. Ultimately, the chickens have to figure all this out. Pecking order takes time and so does the peace of the flock. As long as the rooster is the same standard (size) as the hens, this takes place naturally within the flock.

Wish ya the best.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x2. It sucks to watch them work it out, but they've got to. The last time I had to bring in a new rooster, which had been a while so my little flock had a pretty well established pecking order, I had the same worry. My dom hen was pretty bossy, and she'd been top of the flock for some time while I searched for a rooster. When he was finally allowed to have contact with the girls, the hen at the very bottom of the pecking or was the one who gave him the most trouble. I'm guessing she had her little mind set that he was not going to be above her, and she whooped on him off and on for a solid week before she finally gave up. That poor guy had to work his way up the ladder to earn his spot. I felt real bad for him and he wasn't nearly as beautiful when all was said and done, but you know what? He treated my hens with respect when he got to the top. He didn't just come in and take over, he really had to earn it. He's been a real gentleman, and I think all that had a lot to do with it :)

4. ThreeLittleCritters

ThreeLittleCritters Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2011
    Athens, GA
    Thanks y'all! I guess we will just have to let them work it our and hope for the best. Maybe he will be well behaved because of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by