How to keep the smell down in a free range yard?

WombatChook

Chirping
Jul 13, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
I have 5 chickens that free range in my backyard by day, and are only in their coop at night. Summer is coming, and I've already noticed that it's getting a bit whiffy in the yard. We sweep the paths clean a couple of times a day, but it's impossible to pick up chook poo from the grass.

I've read lots of posts about how to keep the smell of coops down, but how do you keep the smell down when they're free ranging? I don't want the neighbours to hate us 😬

The smell is a result of concentration; if they were spread about over a wide area no-one would notice. Where do you put the sweepings? Ideally get them off your property if it's small. A hose will wash poo into the grass, but it's a short term solution as again a high concentration of poo will harm the soil, grass and all living in it. Can you let them range over a larger area, or reduce the size of the flock?

Thanks for the reply. We currently remove the poo and compost it in a lidded compost bin. Old bedding and nest material from the coop goes in there, too.
I would love to be able to give them more space to roam, but our front yard isn't chicken-proof (yet). It's a work in progress.

Back
Top Bottom