1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to keep them away

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gypsyfarm123, Nov 8, 2011.

1. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    Hi all [​IMG] I was at wallmart the other day and noticed they have these scents like 'Buck lure to draw in the deer(I assume). Well, does anyone know of a scent I can put around my coop/run to keep AWAY predators? Here in NJ the main one's we have are raccoons, possum,skunks and maybe an occasional coyote..Any suggestions on what particular "scent" to use to keep these type of animals away? Thank you for your time...Craig

2. thompsonfarm

thompsonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    OHIO
    Try using dog hair. If you dont have a dog you can get it from your local groom shop I'm sure they'd be glad to give it away

3. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    I am an exterminator and have done a fair amount of wildlife control and there are a number of products on the market like ultra sonic devices and scents to repel pests. None of them really work well and I would not waste your money on them. If you were going to invest in any thing i think it would be best to buy a good quality live trap ( Havahart #3 raccoon trap) and if raccoons or skunks or even cats become a problem set that with a can of sardines and relocate your unwanted friend

4. bugkiller

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Quote:Dog hair would work for deer if thats what your trying to repel buy you would have to replace the dog hair often. the raccoons and skunks would not care at all about dog hair. May slow down to make sure the dog is not around but it would not stop them.

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    That, I would love to know too.

6. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    Yea,deer are not the problem..I noticed that something has been trying to dig under the fence. I suspect it either a possum or skunk because I have seen them both on a couple occasions in the beginning of the summer..And I have a "hav a heart" trap,but also have a bunch of outside/feral cats,so I'm sure ill just be catching them most likely..(And the were raised with the chickens so I'm sure its not them..plus my chicks are HUGE and would kick any of their butts:).I read once to use human urine..but I just can't picture myself taking a wee in a jug every time I have to go! What the heck could a possum or skunk be afraid of? I was thinking coyote urine but I don't want to wind up attracting them! IDK,Tiger urine? Lol

7. bugkiller

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Quote:Set the trap and the cats usaly will only get caught once. Leave them in the trap for 12 hours and they will hate it and never go back in it again

8. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    Quote:Dog hair would work for deer if thats what your trying to repel buy you would have to replace the dog hair often. the raccoons and skunks would not care at all about dog hair. May slow down to make sure the dog is not around but it would not stop them.

x2
    the best scent to use to keep them away for good,and only one i know that REALY works,is burning gun powder after they are in a trap. [​IMG]

9. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    hey i'm in nj too, the best thing to scare away predators is to make it smell like a bigger predator. you can use bear urine but if you have bears nearby and it attracts them it would do much more harm than good. cayenne pepper is the best deterent i've used. it wont really bother your birds at all but will burn the nostrils and paws of predators. put it all over the outside border of your property. reapply often. atleast after each rain. also, try not to let your garbage pile up and start stinking. it will attract more predators. they do sell ultrasonic devices but i've never tried them.

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    if you have animals around your coop run they are already used to your scent and whatever other anamals you may have no matter what new scent you introduce they will "test" the new scent they will ease in slowly and when it does not hurt or scare them they will have become accustomed to it and it will no longer do what you want it to this happens within a week most of the time. the food source being removed is the only thing that will stop them from returning. no pen is really pred proof rats mice snakes and weasels can squeeze through some really tiny spaces

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by