How to keep them Dry?

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
So it's been raining all day. A couple of them went in the coop and a few stayed under the umbrella/activity center but they are still pretty wet. Obviously they are not smart enough to stay put.

I went out and put them all in the coop, but now I'm worried about how wet they are and the temps in the 30s. Will they be ok? I know they need to be dry and that is important, so what am I suppose to do here?

Mine were out today too with rain and the 30's. If they are healthy their feathers should repel the rain for the most part, and they just shake it off. When it rains hard mine head for cover but a lighter all day rain they will get out to range.

I keep mine in the covered coop/run when inclement weather to keep them dry and warm. In bad weather mine roost in the run or head into the house if bad enough. :caf

My hens have to choose to either go in or out. My hens like the rain:idunno they prefer being out there and haven’t got sick yet so I let them. They do have a perfectly dry coop but prefer getting wet and cold apparently. When it snows tho is a different story. They will stay in the coop unless I shovel the run. Which I don’t like doing.

My hens have to choose to either go in or out. My hens like the rain:idunno they prefer being out there and haven’t got sick yet so I let them. They do have a perfectly dry coop but prefer getting wet and cold apparently. When it snows tho is a different story. They will stay in the coop unless I shovel the run. Which I don’t like doing.
I always give mine the choice unless it is like blizzard weather. As long as they are fully featered and have a draft free place to get out of the weather they will be fine. A chickens body temp is 105 to 107 and they use their feathers to create a shield that holds air in and warms it making a little heater around their body. I think if they can go out if they want it cuts down on boredom. I throw whole corn kernels and other larger treats out in the snow for them to forage on nicer days. I throw it in the coop too along with corn cobs and homemade suet. Plus bales of hay and Lots of stuff to get them digging and leaving eachother alone! I tried hanging cabbage but they didn't like it, I will probably try again since I have a lot of new chickens.

4 are 6 months and 3 are 8 months.

There are several areas and the coop that they could choose and yet they do not.
Well don't worry then! They are fully feathered and as long as they have a place to go to get out of the wind and rain they will be fine! Mine love playing in the rain and even snow if it is not too bad. They can warm and dry themselves!

Back
Top Bottom