How to keep track of chicks during hatching? Pedigree baskets?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChestnutRidge, Mar 14, 2011.

1. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    I will be setting my first-ever batch of eggs at the end of this month. I've ordered a Genesis 1588, which has yet to arrive. In the meantime, of course, I am reading all I can about incubating.

I'll be getting eggs of a few different breeds, but for one of the breeds, I am getting two different "lines." The eggs will be labeled, but I would like to know which chicks are from which lines. There will probably be five or six eggs of each line, and 18 other eggs in the incubator.

How do I go about doing this? I know there are such a thing as "pedigree baskets" or bags, but how are those used? Are they practical? Are there dangers? Are there any simpler methods? I figure that I will band them when I take them out. Haven't done that before either, of course. Is banding at all dangerous (knowing that I do need to switch to larger sizes as they grow)?

Thanks!

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    In your case it might be easiest to just divide the incubator across the middle at lockdown with a "fence" of hardware cloth. Secure it well and make sure there isn't room for any chicks to get stuck trying to get over it. Put one "line" on each side and you can keep them separate that way. As an alternitive you could section off one corner in a similar fashion and put one "line" in there. That's basically what a pedigree basket does

3. jujubee

jujubee Feather Hill Farm

Mar 3, 2011
    Good advise. I am on my second hatch with the 1588 (love it) and was wondering the same thing. [​IMG]

4. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Quote:Thanks! That is an excellent idea, and affordable too, which is even better. That's exactly what I'll do. [​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

6. JScatt69

JScatt69 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Spray Paint, color code them...haha JK.
    I've used bands before, worked good for me

7. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Thanks, all. That gives me a lot to think about.

Quote:Thanks for the link, Sundown. Those are very clear directions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by