1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to keep track of hatchlings

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by KrazyKatLady, May 24, 2016.

1. KrazyKatLady

KrazyKatLady Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    I have 2 different batches of eggs and 1 incubator. I want to keep track of which chicks hatch from which batch. I have come up with a way to separate them in the incubator but it will be much more convenient if they can brood together. How can I "mark" them when they hatch?

2. Kittcat

Kittcat Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Utah
    Are they supposed to hatch at the same time? If not leg bands might work well but if so I think you'll either need to be there when they're hatching to manually separate them. I've heard of dying chicks by poking a hole in the shell, injecting dye and sealing it back up but I think it's really risky because you can introduce bacteria too easily and I'm not really sure how humane it is.

You probably already have, but pencil marking the eggs so you don't forget which batch they're from would be helpful. I suppose just before hatching you could put a a barrier make of card stock or something to keep the two batched from mixing. Then it'd be pretty easy to give them colored leg bands that indicate the batch. Just make sure they're the right size! And as their leggs get bigger you want to make sure the band never gets tight.

Maybe a more experienced person has a better idea?

3. paneubert

paneubert Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    Food coloring/dye on their backs once hatched?

4. KrazyKatLady

May 2, 2016
    Would that wear off? I was thinking of painting a toenail but I worry fingernail polish wouldn't be safe. Any thoughts on that?

5. KrazyKatLady

May 2, 2016
    Do they make bands small enough for chicks? I feel like the ones I've seen are big.

6. paneubert

paneubert Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    Would not wear off any faster than them replacing their feathers I would think. I assume it would permanently dye whatever it touches. The issue I am now thinking about is color though. Red is bad since birds often peck at it thinking it is a wound. So whatever you do, go with a green or blue or something not close to red.

7. KrazyKatLady

May 2, 2016
    I really only have to mark one set, so green or blue would work. By time they lose the feathers they should have enough of a leg for a band, I guess. I am completely ignorant about pheasants so I have no idea what to expect size wise

8. Kittcat

Kittcat Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Utah
    Leg bands are made in all sizes, but smaller ones will probably be harder to find... but the food dye idea is a great one! Food dye is water soluble so it may wash off if they get wet or something. It's not exactly permanent but It would last a good while!

9. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Small zip ties come in a few different colors and when they grow bigger you can cut the small off and add a bigger size,and just cut any excess off.You will need to handle them when they go into a bigger pen so do all your needs then.Like trimming toes nails,beaks dusting and changing bands,you don't want to handle them any more them neded..Don't forget to write down what bird gets what band.
    In N.H.,Tony.

10. Kevin hendricks

Kevin hendricks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2014
    Toe punch works best for me , I raise ijima and soemmering coppers ,some people can't tell the difference in the hens , toe marking is forever it won't grow back

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by