1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to keep water fount from freezing?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ramblin Rooster, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    I only have one water heater, but need to keep my other metal fount unfrozen, how can I go about this?

I have a couple plastic waterers for my little silkies until I figure something out, how can I keep them unfrozen?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    More waterers than heaters. Take the extra waterers inside at night. Chickens don't drink water at night.

Chris

2 people like this.
  3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    Get a 5 gallon bucket and a couple of nipples, very easy and holds a lot of water and it keeps it clean with the lid on, I bought this stock tank heater at tractor supply it has a thermostat built in so it doesn't run unless it has to, it has worked flawlessly and with temps down in the teens nothing has frozen and it is out in the run.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Thanks I will see If I can get some, the nipples don't freeze?

5. jetdog

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    No they don't this stock tank heater will keep 30 gallons of water thawed so 5 gallons are no problem.

6. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Okay are they expensive? and do the chickens have trouble figuring it out and learning to use it?

7. jetdog

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I got the nipples from farmtek they are cheap but they wack ya on the shipping, the chickens were using it within 5 minutes, I squatted down and poked on them with my finger they were so curious they came over and started pecking at them they have a red end so I think the color attracted them to it.The tank heater was around $30 they have a few to choose from some have more wattage than others.I bought the push in type of nipples.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  8. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    I'll see if they have them at my local feed store. If they're red then that should be enough for mine to figure it out. Does it work for chicks?[​IMG]

9. jetdog

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I'm not sure about chicks I started using it when mine were around 20 weeks.

10. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Maybe they have miniature ones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by